Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Y'know guys... 6 pages on something that the law is (for once) utterly clear and simple on? There's absolutely nothing to debate here.
    Put enough people in the same room and...

User

Default Re: Self-defence use of a firearm licensed for hunting, sports-shooting or collecting

I did my shotgun and manual rifle competency with Cavendish guns and they asked and answered this question in class.

If you are legally justified in shooting them you will be fine. If the gun is legally owned you will be fine.

Shooting someone with a hunting, sports or SD gun is still shooting them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    I did my shotgun and manual rifle competency with Cavendish guns and they asked and answered this question in class.

If you are legally justified in shooting them you will be fine. If the gun is legally owned you will be fine.

Shooting someone with a hunting, sports or SD gun is still shooting them.
    Perversely it always made sense to me that when somebody is dead at your hands, it matters little with regards to which object you made them dead with. The significance lies in the fact that somebody is dead.

Default Re: Self-defence use of a firearm licensed for hunting, sports-shooting or collecting

For what it's worth regarding EDCing a S15 or 16 firearm, I was carrying my S16 Glock when I got pulled over in a roadblock on Sunday.

The SAPS officer asked if he can search my car's boot, and when he asked if he can search my person I told him I have a firearm. He asked to see it and the licence, which he checked in quite some detail, thanked me and sent me on my way.

Of course we could ask if he even knows wat the "Section 16" on the licence means, but if it was an issue I'm sure they would have been told to look out for it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    If the gun is legally owned you will be fine.
    I've got to disagree. Say I'm in a gun shop and someone comes in shooting. If I reach over and grab a loaded gun not owned by me and shoot that person, will I be in trouble? I've shot a person to preserve life. I could have clubbed the git around the head with a baseball bat and I'd be fine.

More than this, what if the only way to preserve life is to pick up the BG's illegal ak47 and shoot him with it? That's fine.

User

No, those are both fine as well. It's when the cops come take YOUR gun and they find you stole it from the SADF in the late 80's that it will become a problem.

I meant it in regards to how your firearm is licensed. If you use your gun and it is legally yours, it doesn't matter WHY you own it.

KBK

User

Great.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    This is something of a mixed message.

What a particular firearm is licensed for, or indeed whether or not such firearm is licensed at all has no bearing on whether or not a self defence shooting is lawful.

What one uses to defend oneself is irrelevant.

One cannot be prosecuted for using, in self defence, or carrying, for that matter, a sport gun simply because it is not a crime.

The act entitles me to be in possession of all of my firearms. It also entitles me to use them for any lawful purpose.
    This is the bottom line and what SSP, Wandering Zero and Skaaphaas have contributed in this thread is what the current law is.

Nothing more and nothing less.

Opinions are not going to change it and it only serve to obscure the facts.

We have been through these discussions numerous times over the past 3 or 4 years.

It serves no further purpose having opinions on the issue. The utter nonsense some people write is mind boggling and only serves to spread disinformation.

This thread is locked until admin decides to open it again.

Hopefully any new thread on this subject will be answered by a diligent Gunsiter or Mod with reference to this thread and then locked by a Mod to inhibit any more nonsense opinions UNLESS the law is changed.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7