Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Moisture buildup on handgun

I recently acquired a Grand power K100. Now, I store this in a small safe inside a cupboard. The problem is the cupboard is in the same room as a shower (think rent-a-room) and after a shower moisture obviously goes everywhere. I recently tested this with 2 of the FA's mags. Took a shower and then after getting out I inspected the mags. It was clear that they had moisture on them.

Now I've been thinking of ways to solve this problem. Obviously the safe can't be moved and I can't NEVER shower.
    Putting all items (mags, the FA) into zip lock bags has come up, but I'm afaraid if I do that the moisture already on the gun will have nowhere to go and just have the opposite effect.

I searched the forums for such a case, but this is a very specific situation (shower next to the cupboard and all), so nothing truely relevant came up.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

User

Default Re: Moisture buildup on handgun

Eezox!

I probably should have mentioned this is the first firearm I have ever owned. I have no idea what Eezox is or where you get it. Will keeping the gun oiled negate any effects the moisture should have?

User

Try Hailstorm. They have an online store. Any well oiled firearm will be able to withstand moisture ingress. Eezox and Slip 2000 are great products and both stocked by Hailstorm. Use some form of dessicant in the safe. This will help too.

User

Quote Originally Posted by k3yz View Post
    I probably should have mentioned this is the first firearm I have ever owned. I have no idea what Eezox is or where you get it. Will keeping the gun oiled negate any effects the moisture should have?
    Eezox is a type of gun cleaning/protecting solution. It forms a film over the metal (if properly applied the first time) that dries to touch and protects your gun against moisture while providing lubricating properties. I coat my entire firearm with Eezox every time I clean it and just dab a drop or two of Slip2000's Extreme Weapons Lube on the moving parts. As litium said, I got mine from Hailstorm. They have a website, called www.hailstormza.co.za. Their shop is in PTA. The prices in the stuff may seem high, but trust me, it's more than worth it and a little goes a very long way.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely take a look at Hailstorm and the products you mentioned.

Turns out Hailstorm is close to where I live.

User

Eezox is the way to go. Also try and get some silica gel striped out of an old transformer. You place the gel block in the safe and it absorbs humidity and moisture.

You can also buy some weather strip from midas and seal the door of the safe, its a rubbber/spunge with a one sided sticky side used to seal doors, canopies, caravans etc.

Most of your guns metal is in the slide, just strip it down give it a good clean and oil. You should be fine.

Thought of an extractor fan above the shower?

User

lots of silica bags?

User

Sillica bags will work but will get saturated quickly if there is that much moisture in the room. The sillica from a transformer can take a lot of moisture and if its turning purple you can put it in an oven to make it work like new.

User

guess the only option then is to airproof the safe with silicon glue/paste, like you'd use for laying tiles.
    when you close the door, it's then a pretty air tight environment.

combined with silica bags to clear up any residual moisture... should be fine?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast