User

Default Hunting Black Wildebeest

Im going for a hunt end of July and wanted some feed back from the people in the know
    im going to hunt Black Wildebeest im using my Howa 30-06 and want to know if my
    PMP Brown box 180g Ammunition will be sufficient in doing the job as long as i play my
    part in shot placement.

User

Default Re: Hunting Black Wildebeest

My experience was with a 308 shooting a 180gr Woodleigh bullet at about 2650fps.

First Wildebeest was quartering away a bit and I put the bullet behind the shoulder. He dropped within 10 yards of the shot and I thought 'man this is too easy'

Next one was standing broadside ... I had confidence in the bullet and rifle, so I put it on the shoulder and pulled the trigger ... The animal stumbled on impact but did not take a step ... He stood there shaking his head for about 30 seconds. I asked my cousin if he thought I should give him another shot as the animal simply didn't want to fall over ... Then without any warning it simply collapsed. The autopsy revealed that the bullet had broken both shoulders and gone through both lungs.

Can't explain why the second one was so tough ...

Later that day another member of our hunting party wounded another Black Wildebeest and we could not get closer than about 300m ... The shooter had lost his nerve and asked me to shoot it. I shot it from about 300m and the animal dropped at the shot ...

In hindsight ... I think that they are not nearly as tough as Blue Wildebeest, but as I said ... One animal specifically demonstrated a tremendous will to live ...

all that said ... I would expect that you'd be fine with 180's from a 3006.

Banned

Yup, "agter die blad" is a dead BlackWB. They are (quite a bit) smaller than BlueWB, and have a high "kam" (bone ridge) which sometimes causes people to shoot high. 1"-2" above the elbow joint should do it.

User

Brown box will get the job done, but I'd prefer Proamms. They are not that much more expensive and have a bit more bullet reinforcement.

User

We hunted quite a few if them a month ago - I used Brown box 150grain .303 at distances from 80 - 150 meters.

Some shots on the shoulder as well as behind - no animals went more than 50 meters.

I think you'll be fine.

User

Thanks guys much appreciated