Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Subsonic 243 ammo

The risk a high reality of S.E.E and if being used as a tool the probability that a bullet may get stuck in the barrel. Subtonics are quiet and because you going to be shooting so shit so often with the trajectory * the chance that a hit animal would likely walk off - plus the rush to shoot again, when in reality you did miss and the bullet actually did not leave barrel and you putting another behind. Reloading is/ can be dangerous, but safe - subsonic reloading is a bit more on the dangerous -silly side. I have had only one bullet get stuck and it makes a totally different sound- dunno if it would slip through as a safe to reload, but in the heat of a cull - others shooting etc it could and one day will. Just the reloading to see if you can achieve it, after doing it like you have with questions and answers from those that went before - it should be about as safe as reoading standard. But not going ahead blindly.

User

Yes you can use pistol powder. I have used fast burning powders in small amounts when I needed a certain (low) velocity. However, this should not be done by guesswork. You calculate the worst case pressure assuming the tha bullet is not moving until all the powder is burned.

As somebody said, why reduce the velocities, lose accuracY and effectiveness? What would be the purpose of that? At 25m you hear only about 0.15% of the silenced shot using standard ammo. Going this way, you might just as well use a .22.

I am really interested in your motivation.

WAH

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Why - WTF for. Its dangerous enough with a .308. Just buy a .22. You have no momentum on a already limited weapon, and a rather serious bottle neck case using tiny amounts of powder. Everything you need for a sooner or later F/Up on a pretty useless end result cartridge.
    If you understand ballistics, it is not dangerous at all. You need to know the flame temperature of the powder, the specific heat, and gas generated in ml/g and the shell volume. I have actually written PC programs to calculate this under 'worst case conditions'

WAH

Banned

But then we not talking the average or even above average reloader. We now entering professional and/or production type scenario. Joe Curious with his Lymann press and SOMCHEM and a few mates opinions can get hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by wah View Post
    If you understand ballistics, it is not dangerous at all. You need to know the flame temperature of the powder, the specific heat, and gas generated in ml/g and the shell volume. I have actually written PC programs to calculate this under 'worst case conditions'

WAH

User

Reviving this near decade old thread.
    With some Googling, guys have good results with Barnes 75gr HP at 1030fps through 22" barrel with 1:11 twist (or faster).
    They just don't state the powder or load.
    So, MP200 at 8gr and a tampon?

Sent from my Nokia 5.4 using Tapatalk

User

Good thing it's Easter...

User

In my 308, I use 6gn MP200, 3.5gn of Dacron (polyester hollow fiber fill) behind a 174gn lead bullet. One day I want to try a couple of 220gn bullets. It shoots 300mm lower than my normal poi.
    I started high at 9gn MP and made 3 shot batches of 0.5gn less and less. Then you chrono them till you go sub sonic.

It is fun to play around.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    In my 308, I use 6gn MP200, 3.5gn of Dacron (polyester hollow fiber fill) behind a 174gn lead bullet. One day I want to try a couple of 220gn bullets. It shoots 300mm lower than my normal poi.
    I started high at 9gn MP and made 3 shot batches of 0.5gn less and less. Then you chrono them till you go sub sonic.

It is fun to play around.
    Thank you for your feedback Vaal.
    Particularly the Dacron.

Sent from my Nokia 5.4 using Tapatalk

I have had issues with Dacron in ammo I have loaded and actually carried around for a while.

Initially I got consistent velocities but after carrying it around for a while some shots were much slower (to the point that one stuck in the barrel). I believe the powder migrates up into the dacron.

For this reason I prefer toilet paper. Half a sheet, tamped down.

Be careful of the chronograph though, I have taken out the LCD of a shooting chrony with the toilet paper wad.

User

Here be dragons. Small charges of fast powders in relatively large cases with filler materials have been associated with some kabooms. I planned on doing the same when I developed slow cast bullet loads for my 270 Win but chickened out and went with a supersonic load from the Lyman cast bullet handbook.

As per Heath, if I was to do it I'd want to use something impermeable to the propellant. That way it couldn't migrate through the filler so preventing a flashover condition where powder ignites simultaneously over a large area.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast