User

Default One Man Geese Hunt

So I woke to the sound of my alarm at 6 this morning, checked the temp and it was 1 degree celsius, I thaught Id rather stay in bed with the missus but , the urge to go try my new Semi Auto A301 and shoot some geese got me out of bed and I arrived on the farm in total darkness.

My geese hunter friend is stalking kudu in some Oos Kaap valley so I was at it alone!

I rolled down my windows and drived around slowly along the pivot fields and dams to listen if I can hear some geese (still dark), I enjoyed a cup of cofee and waited for a bit of light, I then spotted a flock of geese sitting on a pivotfield inbetween two dams.

I quickly went there and set up 7 full body Gyppo decoys with 3 Spurwing decoys about 15 meters away and my Heron Confidence bird decoy about 30 meters away, I put my Bakkie away and rushed back and quickly put on my Ghillie suit and covered my feet with dead twigs, this served as my blind along a fenceline on the edge of the pivotfield.

It was cold and there were also no wind so I knew I had to be dead still not to give my position away!

I could not wait to pull the trigger of my new gun for the first time!5 Minutes later I saw the first flock of Geese, when they noticed my decoy spread they immediately banked towards me, I singled out a target bird and fired, then fired off a second round and got another one, a double with my first 2 shots with my new gun, I wasnt missing my o\u at home anymore!

My setup seemed to work beautifully, and I got Birds coming in at regular intervals, at 9 o clock I had bag consisting of Gyppos only, it almost felt as if it was over too soon, but it was really an awesome outing!!
    I took some photos(which I am struggling to upload) and pick up all my empty shells and removed the decoys quickly.

The farm workers were so glad to see me on my way back because they knew there were going to be geese on the menu when I stopped at their houses, I kept two for my uncle who knows how to prepare them properly, so we will have them later.

I was back at home early and now there is time to light a fire, watch the rugby and enjoy a glass of orange juice or two!

Geese hunting doesnt always work out like this, but today was one of the better outings!

Default Re: One Man Geese Hunt

Sounds like a great day.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle