Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Buying a rifle for my girls - Info and guidance required on stock configuration.

Thanks zakiwi!

I will keep all of this in mind - good to hear from someone that actually used the Blackhawk stock on the axiom configuration. Much appreciated. The Hogue youth stock is looking more and more like the best all-round solution for me at this time. I truly treasure the moments I can spend with them in the bush.

Last edited by Moomin; 02-07-2013 at 07:17.

User

Default Re: Buying a rifle for my girls - Info and guidance required on stock configuration.

http://www.legacysports.com/howa-moo...teater-package

Go on ... Do it !!!!

Or this one is probably exactly what you wnat if you don't like funky pink ... Comes with 2 stocks.

http://www.legacysports.com/hogue-yo...-scope-package

6x45 is a nice calibre even if wildcat and you can get a rifle built with a mini action and truvelo barrel. Resize 223 cases to suite and anneal them to prevent neck seperation after 2-3 loads. In usa people modify their ar15's to shoot this calibre. 22.2gr s321 gives you 2400fps with a 100gr bullet. Gregory Woods wrote a number of articles in the magnum magazine 10 years ago raving about this calibre. It has been around for many years. Just never taken off. Mine was built 15-20 years ago with a sako action. Great little gun. If you interested i can give you the contact details of a gunsmith in jhb that has built a 25-06, 7x64 and 375 for us and i have seen a partly completed 6x45 in his workshop.

The 6x45 is perfect for your needs. Light, compact, not much recoil, but adequate for impala with good shot placement. Need not be expensive. Favourite action is the Zastava mini mauser. Nice action, light and compact, no longer or fatter than needed for the cartridge. As far as I know, the action is not expensive. I think the importer is African Hunting Supplies. If you want to keep cost down, Truvelo will fit the barrel and you should be able to get a stock from one of several makers of semi inletted stocks that we seem to have. Then you just have to complete the inletting and finish the stock. That would be a lot cheaper than getting a gunsmith to do it. Alternatively, place a wanted add in Gunsite. Another alternative is look for a good 7x57. Relatively low recoiling and a much more capable all round calibre than the 243 Win. Heavy bullet moderate velocity. The 243 Win was intended as a heavy varmint cartridge. I never saw any other point to it. If you are keen on 243, rather look at 308 Win. In a Sako medium action (shorter than most standard actions) it can be a light rifle with significantly less recoil than 30-06. But can deliver good performance with 130 grain bullets (to minimise recoil) with option of up to 180 grain later for bigger game. Not an easy choice to make - best of luck with it.

User

As with many of my good intentions, this project has been dormant for much much longer than it should have been. I realised last week that if I leave this unresolved for much longer I might loose the opportunity to make it a reality.

So after much thought and some phoning around, I popped into Camdix this morning and paid for a Howa 243 with a Junior stock.
    My application form and motivation is completed. Will be submitting on Monday and hopefully I can soon take my girls to the range for some needed practise. I promised them they will be ready this coming hunting season and for once I think I will be able to keep this promise.

Thank you once again for everyone that commented here and helped guiding this part of the journey. Now for the start of a new journey with my girls!

Banned

Congrats, a very good choice. Both caliber and make. You can download a 243 with S335 to give 6x45 performance with 100gr bullet at 2400fps. But, you can also utilise the full power of the 243 and up the velocity to 2950fps.

User

So, I got my SMS this morning.

Went past Camdix and picked up the new addition to my family. Very plain Jane actually, which is perfect for its purpose. (the short stock feels super odd)
    So "Oupa" had an itch 3 weeks ago and decided that his (rather new) Leupold VX3L 4.5 - 14 x 50 did not fit the image of his Mauser (clashed with the original flip-up sights) and promptly got himself a VX6. Oupa then decided that his grand kids should inherit the VX3L.(Grand parents are suckers, but I'm not complaining)

So, without further ado, the first picture of said rifle. Not the best picture but better than nothing.

What are your opinions on silencers and bi-pods? Keep in mind that my girls (10 & 11) will have to lug it around in the bush. Too heavy perhaps? Not sure on the end result value add it might have.

Thanks again to everyone that had commented and provided advice.

Very nice rifle! Congrats

User

NICE Very Nice

Congrats !!!!

Enjoy the time teaching the girls cherish every moment they grow up to quick mine did!!

Banned

You let your 10 & 11 year old girls lug around a rifle in the bush and I'll... I'll... I'll... Get you banned from Gunsite! (Only because that would be a worse punishment than shooting you )

Congrats on the rifle and enjoy the time with the girls!!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast