User

Default Home security (haves and have nots)

I dug up an old thread that got closed because it got a little too heated. I'm certainly not trying to rekindle old flames so to speak, but wish to ask something about my home security setup as the original poster did here.

I live inside a small complex (4 units total). The complex has 2 electronic gates (1 on the road, a second down the end of the pan handle driveway). The complex is walled throughout, some of it is barbed wire. My unit is walled (mostly 6 foot) within the complex. An full alarm system that's monitored by armed response. Telephone and backup radio comms to alarm company. I've got exterior beams which are on every night, big spots in the front garden and lights all around the other sides that are on an auto day/night switch, hi end passives throughout the house and bedrooms. New spec Trellidor gates on all exterior leading doors. Alarm contacts on all windows, doors and ceiling entry points. Panic buttons are placed in each room, kitchen and living area. We carry remote panic buttons with us.
    After all this however, we DO NOT have burglar bars. All windows are closed every time we sleep or when the house is unoccupied day or night (household insurance requirement because we don't have bars on windows). We just feel that we have sufficient security in place at this stage without the need for burglar bars.

My query is:
    1: Will the guy doing the safe inspection give me a hard time about no burglar bars (or will it count against me that I don't have)?
    2: Could the argument be put to me by someone(?) that if I feel 'safe' enough without burglar bars, why do I need a firearm?

I'm just not sure if I should be rushing out and getting some company to come in and fit burglar bars to all my windows quickly before going through the application process?
    I know it might sound silly but I really do wish to have all my ducks in a row and avoid a licence rejection.

Edited URL to other thread as I got it horribly wrong

User

Default Re: Home security (haves and have nots)

That's a good question. confused0083

User

they,re not gonna be worried too much about burglar bars. please understand that our applications are for a Licence/Permit to own and carry a firearm for self defence. you're not gonnae put burglar bars on your car so you don't get hijacked and you're not gonna walk around in a shark cage when you visit a shopping mall and take your kids to feed ducks at the lake.

also, what happens to a less fortunate person who cannot afford high walls, a sophisticated alarm system and burglar bars. he has just the same right to own a firearm as anyone else.

when motivating your application, make reference to your strong points which you mentioned. dont include the stuff like no burglar bars. and strictly speaking, they're coming to check your safe, not your living standards.

Might I suggest aproaching a security consultant who has a cross knowledge of health and safety issues to provide you with a survey or audit report of your house using his/ her subject matter expertise indicating why burlgar bars would not be a viaible deterrent in relation to your specific security enhancement plan.
    That way they (CFR/ SAPS) cannot argue with you as they are not normally trained as security management experts!

Might I however add that to keep in mind that the failure rate for mechanical elements of your overall security plan are far lower than the electronic elements, that being said a well balanced and comprehensive utilization of both aspects is always a good thing!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

Apart from the licensing issues, I would get burglar bars in any event. A physical barrier is (in my mind) as important as an alarm, as an alarm is useless if you don't have any time to react..

I am not an expert, but you have to think about what wins you the most time to react to an attack. If they want in, they probably will get in, but time may be a crucial factor.

Just my opinion.

User

a safe inspection is just that, a safe inspection.
    If you don't mention that you don't have burglar bars then the licensing department will never know you dont have.
    great advice above, just don't mention it.

also remember to use several reasons in your motivation. if you travel on a road like the R27 frequently, which has no police stations and 1 flying squad unit only some days of the week on it. that's a pretty good motivation for self protection. i.e. Dont just nail down your motivation to house protection.

also go and chat to your DFO, use the basis that you want to make sure you have all your boxes checked. you'll get a pretty quick idea of the level of inelegance (you get super smart old captains who are anal about things and young Sargent who either don't know or don't care) if you can wait a week i can have a look at the SAPS safe inspection paperwork this weekend and ill let you know if there is any section for home security.

again let me reiterate the advice of gaining the formulated opinion of a certified expert who can provide a definitive opinion which they cannot ignore!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!