Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default 19 WITH A BULLET

Written by Granger Corf.

A read I enjoyed = about the SADF (Parabats) bush war in Angola and SWA.

For those that were in SWA or Angola during the time it will resurface memories of places and similarities.

User

This book is very, very good. My girlfriend's father is good friends with Granger and grew up with him and served some time with him. I met him a few years ago, he is huge :P A very nice guy.

I strongly recommend this book.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

The guys who served with Granger all speak very highly of the book. Sometimes he changed names and sometimes he took a little license with distances, etc, but the book is excellent... and actually written about 20 years ago...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Very good book, just finished reading it, sounds like Mr. Korff has had a very interesting life so far.

User

Also enjoyed the book,

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Granger's book enjoys unqualified support from the other Parabats who served with him at the time.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Just goes to show how good our army was, how highly disciplined and capable.

I have read nearly all the books availble, narratives as well as non fiction analysis and every single one of them filled me with pride and joy.

For all the faults of the old South Africa, the SADF was on of the part of our society which was world class and the very best at the type of warfare which was required.

Remember, the SADF only left Angola when the USSR was collapsing, and communist sponsors of the various liberation movements where essentially bankrupted.

Then the USA said, "OK boys, good job, you can go home. The communist threat has passed".

I was an armour soldier after the war had ended, and all I can say is that Swapo, Fapla and the Cubans can be thankful that the Rooikat wasnt deployed. the Rooikat is a special kind of meanness to the enemy.Fast, furious with a semi auto 76mm gun, and superb personnel. Kick it down.

Our G-6 155mm Rhino is also considered one of the best, most acccurate self-propelled artillery pieces out there.

Rooivalks would also have had a major impact - imagine a fully fledged attack chopper zipping in and out instead of little (effective though) Alouttes with 20mm cannons circling.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhardus View Post
    Our G-6 155mm Rhino is also considered one of the best, most acccurate self-propelled artillery pieces out there.

Rooivalks would also have had a major impact - imagine a fully fledged attack chopper zipping in and out instead of little (effective though) Alouttes with 20mm cannons circling.
    I can imagine that more G6s would have had a mojor impact, at least on the morale of the enemy as well as the SADF. To avoid detection and retaliatory air strikes or even capture, the G5s had to be relocated often. From what I've read these gunners worked their butts off to maintain incredible firing rates, lugging heavy ammunition around. Better mobility would have made their lives a lot easier.

South Africa deployed the prototypes of the G5 and G6 in Angola. So many G5s were sold to Sadam Hussein, that our own forces suffered severe shortages of spares and ammunition.

I suppose a quick buck in the pocket for some means a whole lot more than a more capable defence force, eh sir?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast