Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default What are the cost like for BP?

Looking into getting a .50 cva optima ML. Curious as to what it costs per shot? What would it cost for BP, primer and conical/sabot round? Thinking of using cheaper conicals for the range and then Sabots and the like for hunting.

Default Re: What are the cost like for BP?

You dnt get Sannedex anymore. Which was the cheaper locally made powder you could use in the palce of BP.

But Currently BP is about R1400 per KG. Some rifles take anything from 60 -100grn. There is 16grn in a gram. So 1400/1000gram = R1-40 pe gram. 60grain load will be 60/16*1.4= R5-25 And 100grn load R8-75.

Excluding your pecussion Cap. Which can be 40c to 60c.

The bullet price is dependant on what you want. But reckon at least R1-50 for lead head.

Remember after shooting. You have to clean.

User

Cool thanks shooty. Just the Info I was looking for. Sorry just a couple more questions. How much was sannadex when it was available? Do you still get Bushcalk? How much does it cost for 500grams?

User

Shotgun primers you looking at R1 each. Sannadex WAS about R230/500g.
    Real blackpoder you looking at R720+ per 500g! Rediculous id rather load my cartridge rilfes

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    You dnt get Sannedex anymore. Which was the cheaper locally made powder you could use in the palce of BP.

But Currently BP is about R1400 per KG. Some rifles take anything from 60 -100grn. There is 16grn in a gram. So 1400/1000gram = R1-40 pe gram. 60grain load will be 60/16*1.4= R5-25 And 100grn load R8-75.

Excluding your pecussion Cap. Which can be 40c to 60c.

The bullet price is dependant on what you want. But reckon at least R1-50 for lead head.

Remember after shooting. You have to clean.
    Just a thought...the black powder measure is one of volume not weight...I am under correction here though...I think about 90gr Volume in BP (Sannadex) is bout 50 odd grains in "weight" 50grains = 3.125 Grams per shot = 320 shots /kg @R1400/kg = R4.375...cast your own bullets + 40c to 60c a primer......the experince shooting BP ...Priceless!!

User

No no I measure 120gr by volume and it weighs 137gr for one shot! Not realy cheaper now is it

User

Quote Originally Posted by BSA303 View Post
    No no I measure 120gr by volume and it weighs 137gr for one shot! Not realy cheaper now is it
    BSA ...like I said I am under correction...I need to go and check again. I reverted to weight because I was really struggling with groupings with my In line Thompson Center BP .50 cal so I measure out a few volumetric 90gr g worked and average "weight" in grains and then hand measured each load into pill bottles so they were exactly the same ...so far have not had the time to get to the range...that was 6 mnths ago!... so I cant remember exactly but I am almost sure they were lighter in grains "weight" than the "volume" grains ...I'll check and get back . Also last time I bought Sannadex it was definitely not R1400 /Kg , but then again I hear now you can only get imported or AECI powders, bottom line its not cheap...but heck of a lot of fun!!

User

Interesting that a bit a charcoal, saltpeter and sulfour cost soo much. Why do you guys not make your own?
    Been done at 618BC, that is 2500 years ago.

Regards

WAH

User

Here in Texas it is legal to make your own blackpowder. I even make my own charcoal out of willow wood, get ammonium nitrate and sulfur from the farm supply. I make 2f grain size for my rifle and 3f grain size for my Remington 1858 pistol. I cast all of my bullets, round ball, minies and maxi ball. I get the lead for free from a roofing company. When the strip old roofs they have to replace the lead flashing.

I never calculated how much the materials or time cost me, I just like making my own stuff.

Most countries don't allow you to make your own BP. Other than the US and Switzerland I don't know if any others allow it. I would check the law before making any BP.

Here is my newest rifle.

It is a .54 caliber Lyman.

Slightly illegal in SA to mix your own BP.

I have heard rumours that they might be looking at importing Chinese made BP powder. That will be alot cheaper.

One reason for the price. Is that only AEL currently brings in powder. So no real competition for them on it. So they can ask what ever they actually want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast