Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Warthog and S & W mod19 .357 mag

Sadly no, you still had to hit them in the right place, them pins are something else

Sorry going a bit off topic here, just wanted to point out that we achieved the 1250 fps velocity with 180 grainers in the .357

Extraction with the shorter .38 spl cases and the full moon clips wasnt a problem as the extractor is longer than the cases and if one case goes, they all go via the moon clip. Having said that, when working up loads, I do recall some guys punching holes in the palm of their hands, via the extractor rod. Hence shooting gloves became popular !

Please bear in mind that these loads, for hunting purposes should be used in .357 mag cases, as there is no need for moon clips or super fast extraction. I must also mention, that the COL was STILL THE SAME as if we had used 357 cases, Ie the internal case volume (pressure) was still the same. Looked a bit odd, but worked a charm. In fact, I gave up shooting the .45 in favour of the roli

I also recall that these loaded rounds just fitted inside the very long cylinder of the 608, in fact they were too long for my S&W 627 and hence one had to seat them deeper, (less powder) and less speed (the 5" barrel didnt help either)

Back then Mark Harrison made a hardened steel tubie thing, that when placed over the cartridge, the tip stuck out and one would file the tip away (flat nose) effectively shortening the COL. You only lost about 8 gr Lead. and the tip was still "pointed" enough for fast reloading.

That would make an awesome hunting bullet !

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

interesting
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Back in the 70's, Bill Wilson told me that jhp's "grabbed" the bowing pins better than ball or swc's, giving you a bit larger target. One outfit, for a while, offered a "pin-grabber" jhp, with reinforced lips at the edge of the hp cavity.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by DickMiller View Post
    Back in the 70's, Bill Wilson told me that jhp's "grabbed" the bowing pins better than ball or swc's, giving you a bit larger target. One outfit, for a while, offered a "pin-grabber" jhp, with reinforced lips at the edge of the hp cavity.
    ?
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3