Havamal

User

Default Re: 10 Reasons why you should shoot IDPA

Good article thanks for sharing.

BulM5rocks

• A few reasons why IPDA could "teach" new shooters bad habits

IDPA "teaches" you to reload in the middle of a gunfight
      IDPA COFs prescribe the way you should react to a defensive situation - you don't get the opportunity to check the situation, analyze it and come up with an appropriate reaction
      IPDA forces you to carry your gun in an "unnatural" state of readiness - how many of you Glocksters actually carry 10+1 ?

"these opinions are those of one deranged shooter, who has been shooting the sport for a while now and in no way represent the views of any sane person"

• Quote Originally Posted by BulM5rocks
      A few reasons why IPDA will get you killed in a "REAL" gunfight

IDPA "teaches" you to reload in the middle of a gunfight
      IDPA COFs prescribe the way you should react to a defensive situation - you don't get the opportunity to check the situation, analyze it and come up with an appropriate reaction
      IPDA forces you to carry your gun in an "unnatural" state of readiness - how many of you Glocksters actually carry 10+1 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by BulM5rocks

"these opinions are those of one deranged shooter, who has been shooting the sport for a while now and in no way represent the views of any sane person"
    So are you actually suggesting that everyone who parttake in IDPA as a sport should rather put their guns in the safe when they get home, since they are only going to get themselves killed?

Dont take too much offence, but this is one of the dumbest posts I've read.

IDPA does not teach you to reload in the middle of a gunfight. If you are referring to a tactical mag change, its actually good practise. Should I have fired say 8 of the 13 rounds in my USPc and there is an opportunity, I'd definitely slap a full 12 rounder in there. IDPA never stated that you must do this whilst engaging a BG. Your statement is just silly.

As mentioned in another post somewhere, all shooting sports merely teaches you to shoot. No two gunfights will ever be the same. IDPA is a skills test. In order to compare the skill of two people, you need to make them do the same exercise. Thats also pretty much common sense. Without comparison, how can you call it a sport?

Thirdly, IDPA is a sport. Everyone realizes that. The 10 round mag cap is only there to even the playing field. Everyone knows that, its common sense. My G17 is always carried with 18 and I will only reload when its empty.

There is no shooting sport that will save your life in a gunfight. It will, however, make you react without having to think about your gun, draw, reloads, since you have practised these many times before. The tactical approach to the situation is up to you and you alone.

Dont make wild statements like that, it is destructive to the sport. You obviously have a gripe with the IDPA, but please, if you have nothing good to say, say nothing.

BulM5rocks

Count bla - if you have a look at my other post regarding ADP you'll see I have plenty of good things to say bout IDPA.

I don't have a gripe with IDPA - I have a gripe with those who say that it is superior to any other shooting sport. Like any sport- IDPA has it's good points and bad points, so does IPSC.

All I'm saying is one should keep an open mind as to how you approach a sport. As i see it the Shooting sports allow you to put into practise skills you have learnt elsewhere.

Even IDPA can be approached in different ways - are you going to use your carry gun and carry rig and do it all out "tactically" like Mr SWATG or are you going to use a "competition" gun in a "competitive" holster OR somewhere in between ??

There is no "real" sport - shoot whatever and take from it what you want - shoot Bianchi if you want to practice accuracy, shoot pins/IPSC for speed and accuracy, shoot IDPA for accuracy above speed and basic tactics. Be aware of the good and bad points of each.

Shoot anything to improve your gun handling skills and be open to what each sport has to offer.

User

md217

About teaching and training... are we going to do the same route again? idf24

User

Gabe Suarez in fact teaches TACTICAL reloading when you have a chance during a "gunfight" and RETAINING the magazine for possible future use - does that remind you of something that is done in IDPA sport shooting ? He does not propagate dropping a partially filled mag and leaving it behind.