Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Info on a Slazenger .22 LR

I am helping someone do a motivation for a Slazenger .22 LR.

It seems GS only has a few persons mentioning that they own one, or a discussion or two on the magazines. Google also doesn't provide much.

Can anyone tell me where I can find some info to put in the motivation?

I don't know if it is the model 12. The old license card only says "Slazenger KAL: (0262) .22 Long Rifle" and the serial number starts with MB. I haven't been able to see the rifle itself either.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Info on a Slazenger .22 LR

Erm... If you don't want it, I might be interested. Pirate has one, you can PM him, I'm sure he did lots of research on them.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Erm... If you don't want it, I might be interested. Pirate has one, you can PM him, I'm sure he did lots of research on them.
    I don't want it. I would let it go for free.....But the late Mr van der Walt might visit me at night, demanding answers. Not to mention his heir who is alive and well...

Hahaha. Okay fair enough.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I have a Model 1B single shot that I've done a little research on.
    Not much out there but did find some info here - http://www.lithgowsafmuseum.org.au/c...tion.html#slaz

Slazenger Sporting Rifle

The association between Slazengers Australia and the Factory began c.1930 when the Factory manufactured golf club heads for the company, and continued when Slazengers began making .303 rifle woodwork in 1941 as a feeder factory duringWorld War II.
    A project between the Factory and Slanzengers resulted in production of the very popular single-shot .22 bolt action Slazenger sporting rifles from 1945. These rifles used the same barrel steel as the legendary SMLE and almost 18,000 were delivered in the first year of manufacture. The 'Model 1' was followed by the 'Model 1A' and the 'Model 1B'. Famous Australian sharp shooter Lionel Hartley Bibby worked for Slazengers and consulted with the Factory on the design of all of the Slazenger rifle models.
    In 1947 a .22 bolt action repeating model, the 'Model 12' with a 5-round magazine was added to the range. Then in 1949 a higher powered rifle, the 'Model 24' using the .22 Hornet cartridge, and a single shot bolt action shotgun using the .410" cartridge were introduced. Both of these new rifles were built on the SMLE action. In 1955 a short barrel version of the Model 12 was introduced as the 'Model 55'.
    All of these rifles were distributed by Slazengers. By the time production ceased around 1961 the Factory had produced arouond 220,000 single shot .22 rifles, 85,000 .22 repeating rifles, 7,700 Hornet repeating rifles, and 6,800 .410 shotguns.
    and here - http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=487257

Lithgow Museum 5

1 - Slazenger Model 1B 22 cal SAF Lithgow Australia

Slazenger bolt action single shot rifles were manufactured at the small arms factory under contract to Slazenger PTY LTD of Sydney. They were well designed, robust and renowned for accuracy. Production commended in 1940 with the Model 1. This was modified to the Model A1 with 120,000 of these being produced. Further mods led to the model 1B with over 20,000 being produced. The wooden furniture was made in Sydney by Slanzenger and supplied to the SAF assembly.

2 - Slazenger repeater Model 12 22 cal SAF Lithgow OZ.

Production on the model 12 repeating rifle commenced in 1946 and ceased in 1955. The rifle was supplied with a 6 round box magazine and as in other models the barrel was produced from proved barrel steel to the same spec as that used in service rifles. The one piece stock is made from scented satinwood. A modofied version the 55 was produced 1955-1958 with a 5" shorter barrel. More than 100,000 model 12 and Model 55 were manufactured before slazenger decided to stop marketing them in 1958.

3 - Model 12 Sectioned.

4 - Model 55

5 - Slazernger Hornet Prototype.

Thanks, DarkStar!

User

thanks for that
    I own a model 1B
    all I know is that it comes from my great grand father - that's as far as I could track it back as my father has also passed away 2yrs ago at the age of 84.
    my 9 jr old son shoots mostly with the rifle
    gunsmith made one small hole to mount a scope
    the lucky bugger uses my leupold vx 1
    deadly accurate

User

Quote Originally Posted by piglet View Post
    deadly accurate
    They are, rather.... I think a lot has to do with the nice thick barrel.

Is the 1B also a Slazenger, or a Lithgow? I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression only the mod 12's were marketed as Slazengers.

:- P

User

its marked 1 B Slazenger made by sal.... or saf....
    improved competion barrel......
    could'nt read the rest , I had it re-blued

User

o I forgot - its got a little black plastic insert in the butt that reads Slazenger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast