Default Transport of firearm by another appropriately licensed person?

I need to get my handgun to a gunsmith from Nelspruit to sort out a few serious problems, but I am not going to Pretoria within the next few weeks and need the gun back in working condition urgently.

Is there any legal way to send the gun through with another licenced firearm owner?

According the DFO I can apoply for a transport license but that is going to take at least four weeks to approve ... My friend is going through to Pretoria next week ...

I cannot believe that such a long proces needs to be followed for something so simple ...

Default Re: Transport of firearm by another appropriately licensed person?

Send it via a courier who is licensed to transport firearms.

RAM comes to mind. Yes, this will cost money.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

RAM Couriers? They are the only couriers that transport FA's as far as I know.

User

I recently used them to send a shotgun from Durban to Gauteng. It arrived after a day and a half, and cost R 250, not unreasonable compared to the hassles of doing it yourself.

Thanks for the info ...

According to the DFO at another SAPS office I can send it with my friend along with a letter from me indicating all relevant details as my friend already has a license for the same caliber handgun as what I am sending ... just saying, that is some of the advice I got.

I also don't believe that this matter is specifically addressed in the Act ... yes, storage and use may be addressed but this is neither of the two so it may be a grey area.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistix View Post
    Thanks for the info ...

According to the DFO at another SAPS office I can send it with my friend along with a letter from me indicating all relevant details as my friend already has a license for the same caliber handgun as what I am sending ... just saying, that is some of the advice I got.

I also don't believe that this matter is specifically addressed in the Act ... yes, storage and use may be addressed but this is neither of the two so it may be a grey area.
    Your DFO is wrong, and it is specifically addressed in the FCA.

Unless you have a green licence, (in which case I am still not sure what applies), only the licence holder, a dealer, or a person in posession of a permit to transport firearms may transport it. A letter is wholly insufficient.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistix View Post
    Thanks for the info ...According to the DFO at another SAPS office I can send it with my friend along with a letter from me indicating all relevant details as my friend already has a license for the same caliber handgun as what I am sending ... just saying, that is some of the advice I got.I also don't believe that this matter is specifically addressed in the Act ... yes, storage and use may be addressed but this is neither of the two so it may be a grey area.
    DFO's...that bastion of knowledge and intellectual discussions