Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hornady XTP as carry ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    What is the OAL you have for the 115gr XTP Shooter? I also have some and would like to reload, do they have any 124gr's by any chance?

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

What is the OAL you have for the 115gr XTP Shooter? I also have some and would like to reload, do they have any 124gr's by any chance?

The info I got from the web (one PDF although I don't know where it comes from) and forums was between 1.08 and 1.095 inches. I could not find info on the Hornady site, so I might email them about it. I loaded two in empty cases at 1.08 and fed them a few times from a magazine and no problems.

As far as I know they only have a few boxes of 115grain. I also bought some new PMP cases to load them in after I test functioning. I'll probably try that this Saturday at their range and I can find out about the 124 grainers - or you can call them if you cant wait :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    I load the 115 and 124 to the same OAL. I have some 124's on me now but do not have a vernier and can't recall the measurement off hand. Will try to remember to measure and post tonight when i get home.

Sean.
    Thanks Sean, appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    The info I got from the web (one PDF although I don't know where it comes from) and forums was between 1.08 and 1.095 inches. I could not find info on the Hornady site, so I might email them about it. I loaded two in empty cases at 1.08 and fed them a few times from a magazine and no problems.

As far as I know they only have a few boxes of 115grain. I also bought some new PMP cases to load them in after I test functioning. I'll probably try that this Saturday at their range and I can find out about the 124 grainers - or you can call them if you cant wait :)
    Thanks Shooter, I may just buy a box of the 115gr's as mine are almost finished.

User

I could not find performance data about the 124 or 115 on the net. All I could find was that many people use them and when loaded they are more accurate compared to the other bullets guys are loading.

User

Reviving an old thread on XTPs.

I see that Wilson Combat is now loading these in their Wilson Combat Custom Ammo. http://ammo.wilsoncombat.com/wilson-...-load-details/

Pushing the 9mm 115gr XTP to 1250fps (5' barrel) and the 124gr XTP to 1200fps (5' barrel).

Why did they choose to use XTPs? They also use Barnes and Speer Gold Dots in other calibres.

User

From my very little non-scientific testing of the 115Grain XTP's: the all held up very well (no separation) and expanded just like the picture on the box. My handloads. They appear to be good bullets.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPlastic View Post
    Reviving an old thread on XTPs.

I see that Wilson Combat is now loading these in their Wilson Combat Custom Ammo. http://ammo.wilsoncombat.com/wilson-...-load-details/

Pushing the 9mm 115gr XTP to 1250fps (5' barrel) and the 124gr XTP to 1200fps (5' barrel).

Why did they choose to use XTPs? They also use Barnes and Speer Gold Dots in other calibres.
    Not sure, probably because of availability. I know Speer at one point was getting sticky about supplying other ammo manufacturers, the likes of Cor-Bon etc. This may have changed though. Barnes are also alot more expensive than both the Speer GD and Hornady XTP.

I agree with the probability that this is due to availability. Speer / ATK finally figured out that other companies were using their premium bullets to load ammo that was taking business away from them. They also started selling 'personal defense' GD loads in 20rd boxes for non LE consumption that cost as much as 50rd packed for LE use. All the major SD pistol ammo companies (which Hornady is not) are running at least three shifts a day now and still can't meet demand in the US alone. Why sell to a competitor under those conditions?

Along with that Speer / ATK sell their GDs to reloaders too...all of these methods probably allow them to charge more than if they sold hundreds of thousands of bullets to commercial loaders in bulk. I note that other, much bigger commercial loaders such as Black Hills, Doubletap, etc. have also stopped using GD bullets in several of their loads.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    I agree with the probability that this is due to availability. Speer / ATK finally figured out that other companies were using their premium bullets to load ammo that was taking business away from them. They also started selling 'personal defense' GD loads in 20rd boxes for non LE consumption that cost as much as 50rd packed for LE use. All the major SD pistol ammo companies (which Hornady is not) are running at least three shifts a day now and still can't meet demand in the US alone. Why sell to a competitor under those conditions?

Along with that Speer / ATK sell their GDs to reloaders too...all of these methods probably allow them to charge more than if they sold hundreds of thousands of bullets to commercial loaders in bulk. I note that other, much bigger commercial loaders such as Black Hills, Doubletap, etc. have also stopped using GD bullets in several of their loads.
    That was pretty much my understand of it, thanks Ikor.

User

Very informative guys. Thanks.

Can one infer from this that XTPs are not complete crap, otherwise they would have been passed over in favor of something else? Grasping at straws, I know, but if that is all that is available, I would like to try and make it work.

Would a 147gr XTP at 1000 fps at this point rank ahead of the blue box Magtech 115grs?

Thanks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPlastic View Post
    Very informative guys. Thanks.

Can one infer from this that XTPs are not complete crap, otherwise they would have been passed over in favor of something else? Grasping at straws, I know, but if that is all that is available, I would like to try and make it work.

Would a 147gr XTP at 1000 fps at this point rank ahead of the blue box Magtech 115grs?

Thanks.
    The XTP is a very consistent JHP and yeah, I would take a 147gr XTP @1000FPS (Ok, I would load it to around 1080FPS) over a 115gr non-bonded JHP anyway. Penetration will be better and expansion most likely more consistent.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast