Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Polymer frames?

User

Default Polymer frames?

I was just wondering what you guys think of polymer frame handguns. More reliable than metal frames?

SAS

User

Default Re: Polymer frames?

I dont think it's a case of reliability. IMO polymer framed handguns are lighter and you wont have a frame that is prone to rust.

User

Not all of them lol..

Reliable in what sense? The frames will break in 100k - 200k rounds. So if I shoot R200'000 worth of ammo through a R8000 gun and it then breaks it was as reliable as it gets IMO

Lighter, low maintenance, no rust. In summer, when you EDC IWB, your frame is constantly pressing (and rubbing) against a moist skin.

User

User

I've carried both.
    Weight --> Polymer wins by miles, even alloy framed Sigs are pretty heavy when compared to a Polymer Pistol
    Reliability --> They are equally robust, I have a 1983 Sig P226 that still shoots like a tack driver and a USP Compact that has been with me for 15 years and still runs without any problems. Each pistol will have its personal traits, I know my HK prefers stiffer loads and the cases need to be full length resized properly. My Sig has a HUGE jump to the lands so my overall length of loaded ammo is very long.
    Alloy or steel pistols tend to be heavier so have a higher initial momentum, as such there are times when the torque applied to an incorrectly held polymer pistol may make it prone to a failure to eject (See Demonstration here ) Please note, this is likely the case with all polymer pistols and not just the Glock.
    Rust --> Other than the Steel slides and metal parts, the polymer pistols are impervious, this includes to heat and cold, Steel or Alloy framed firearms are more prone to be affected by extreme temperatures and rust, specifically on metal to metal moving parts.
    Physical dimensions --> Again I think the Polymer pistols seem to win out on the basis that can normally have thinner frames and still maintain great tolerances and toughness!

Polymer is also slightly elastic, this allows more give to impacts, steel and alloy pistols will unfortunately dent should they take a knock.

User

I think poly frame and striker fired is the future. The design and technology in them is improving all the time. Years back I thought one would not be able fire one as fast as steel gun with a traditional hammer. How wrong I was , vast improvements in poly guns all the time.

User

which is cheaper

SAS

User

Quote Originally Posted by sa-shooter View Post
    which is cheaper

SAS
    SAS, you really need to be ALOT more specific when asking questions, surely you want better information? You get R30 000 STI polymer framed pistols vs R7-8 000 pistols? You see why the question is not quite relevant....

You should rather handle both types. Find your application you ant to use it for. And get one that suits you. Polymer or Steel.

No use buying something. And then you struggle to handle it.

I love my HK. Very well balanced. Looks big but feels as light as a Feather. And its the larger Expert.

But I still also love my PPK. Which is full steel. As well as steel 1911 framed pistols.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast