Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Speed Modify your Spyderco / Cold Steel for 30 cents

I carry 2 x Spyderco Endura 4's with the Emmerson Hook. I work in a Office Environment and they are more 'socially' acceptable and blend in very nicely. Yes....I agree fully that the folder is less ideal and the better way to go is a fixed blade but I personally do not have a suitable fixed blade option available currently and the 2 Spyderco's will have to do until I can find alternatives (or should I say....be able to afford suitable alternatives).

I know and have known about the 'quick fix' offered by gunlore for some time. It is not ideal IMO but it is a OPTION with limitation just as my 2 x Spyderco's is a OPTION with limitations..... Should I be faced with the situation where I am limited to a folder without a 'hook'.....the addition of cable ties could enhance the functionality of the said knife as long as you know the limitations attached to it.

The cable tie option is not ideal IMO but it is a OPTION that can enhance the functionality of a particular knife and IMO good advice but it needs to be placed into perspective and the limitations should be highlighted (which I think has been done with some of the above posts).

Train as if you are facing the twisted love child of Larry Vickers and Gabe Suarez.
    lv29

If you believe that the BG's aren't training like we do then you are sorely mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Carter
    Train as if you are facing the twisted love child of Larry Vickers and Gabe Suarez.
    lv29

If you believe that the BG's aren't training like we do then you are sorely mistaken.
    To echo what Geoff said, ask some corrections officers if you know any, if the bad guys train in the 'gladiator academy' of prison...you will be astonished at what you will learn. They most certainly do train!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Quote Originally Posted by ikor
    if the bad guys train in the 'gladiator academy' of prison...you will be astonished at what you will learn. They most certainly do train!
    One of the big problems that we face....

I sometimes wonder what is the difference between a criminal entering a prison and the same criminal exiting the prison. We send them there for 'rehabilitation' but they tend to come out bigger criminals than when the went in.... confused0083

IMO.....this is a area that we fail completely....

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba
    If you want to stake your life on getting an open knife in your hand you'd better make sure the opening method works everytime.

I have experienced "wave" fitted knives that sometimes fail to open as planned due to operator error induced by stress/pressure/etc .

That is why the No 1 method for a knife you stake your life on is a FIXED BLADE, carried in such a manner that you can get it out quick and secure.
    with this in mind and knowing i can not carry a fixed blade, i bought a Gerber 06 auto in tanto, but because its such an expensive knife, have not caried it for fear of ruining my beauty :(

go figure
    now i carry my CRKT knives, three of them to be specific...

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    While not all our opponents are well trained and motivated many are. They are also probably also far more comfortable with violence than most of us. While he may not have had formal shooting or blade training (though he may have as well) he will very likely have shot and stabbed people as well. So he may have experience not on a nice neat range or in a nice clean dojo but actually metal to meat.
    VERY good point! If you haven't seen Emerson's "surviving in the kill zone" lecture, try track it down. there is an amateur video recording of it on the 'net, a friend gave me a copy he downloaded from a torrent site (its not a pirated professional production, so I would think its OK- Emerson was clearly aware the seminar attendee was filming him)

User

There is nothing wrong with CRKT knives , probably the best value for money in my opinion.

User

Hi Guys,
    Managed to get hold of the Emerson "surviving in the kill zone" lecture on YouTube ...
    Here is the first installment:

There are quite a few other 'episodes' there as well with some very good, solid information ... Thanks prepare2win fighting0035

Kind regards,
    RobertC
    “Practice Peace, Train Chaos!”

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba
    That is why the No 1 method for a knife you stake your life on is a FIXED BLADE, carried in such a manner that you can get it out quick and secure.
    Agreed. I learned a lot about knives and knife fighting living with the Owambos. This big old ornamental pig-stickers of theirs got well blooded everytime the troops got paid and hit the fleshpots. Anyway, discovered there that showmanship is a not inconsequential part of a knife-fight... and nothing, NOTHING, gets the other guy's attention more than flick-opening a big folder!

Oh course... you have to have the space to do this...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2