Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default Why buy an FN Fal/R1

Hi guys

I would like to know ; why do people still buy these rifles; apart from collectors?

I like them very much and have seen some refurbished ones with picatinny rails on with glass ; and I loved it, anyway according to many they are not practical to use because of size/caliber/compatability with aftermarket acc. the list goes on..

So why then are they still sold and popular amongst sportshooters taken into consideration the list of cons.

Would this be a good/bad choice for your first semi for sportshooting.

Thanks

User

Default Re: Why buy an FN Fal/R1

imho, the whole (and legitemately so) bad-ass factor.
    other than that... i dunno. personally I'd rather spend a bit more on an AR10 or such, for that calibre.

User

Its a R1, you dont need reason to buy one, you need reason NOT to buy one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bauermn View Post
    Hi guys

I would like to know ; why do people still buy these rifles; apart from collectors?

I like them very much and have seen some refurbished ones with picatinny rails on with glass ; and I loved it, anyway according to many they are not practical to use because of size/caliber/compatability with aftermarket acc. the list goes on..

So why then are they still sold and popular amongst sportshooters taken into consideration the list of cons.

Would this be a good/bad choice for your first semi for sportshooting.

Thanks
    Its an extremely reliable piece of kit inasmuch breakages of anything are very, very rare. If you buy one in very good condition and keep it reasonably clean and acceptably lubed you should have no trouble at all with it for many, many years. It's a fine rifle in a great calibre. You can use the one rifle both for IDPA and for long range big bore shooting. It also well suited to SD use, especially in short form. In my view - and I admit to some bias - it is an utterly superb piece of kit. Ammo is a bit more expensive than .223 but it is also a very commonly reloaded cartridge.

User

Because its bad-ass as Lian mentioned. Do yourself a favor and shoot an AR and then an FAL in the same session. With the FAL you will know you have a rifle in your hands. I have not had an ounce of shit EVER with mine.
    And who wants accessories for an FAL? Besides maybe a scope rail and good glass, the FN FAL/R1 IS still what I chose over an AR.
    But then I am bias myself

User

As a first semi some sort of 223 makes more sense. Cheaper and easier to shoot and normally the rifles are a lot handier.

That said there is a FAL at work that keeps calling to me. Why buy one. Because FAL is a good enough reason :)

User

Thanks guys; i'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame for some reason!!!!!

What ahould you pay for one ans what wxactly does refurbished mean/include?

User

Go chat to the guys at Valley Trading. They normally have some. And what Bruce doesn't know about working on a FAL probablly isn't worth knowing.

User

You can also chat to Paul at TAC SHAC. They manage to get reburbed ones in now and again, and they go for about the R15k mark...

...That's where I got my 15" beauty from

User

I once asked a mate of mine why he was buying another rifle and he said to me "don't ask me a stupid question, why do you need a reason to buy another firearm, you can never have too many".

I got a refurbished 17" from Paul at Tac Shac and i love it, almost as much as my LM5, but i can't let it hear that.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast