Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default Re: I want to take buff with a .460 rowland 1911.

Dick, a 460 Rowland with a 80gr bullet at 3050fps produces around 1 680ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. This is almost identical to a .243 loaded to the same specs. Ask anyone if they would hunt Cape Buffalo with a .243 and they would think you half daft. The fact that you shoot a lovingly hand turned mono will have little to do with the energy at impact.

As WZ says, perhaps you don't appreciate how tough a Buffalo is. Mistake no 1 you make is to liken the Cape Buffalo to the Hereford Bull, they are simply NOT the same and yes they are SO deadly a critter. They are not called the big five due to their size but rather the danger that they present on a hunt.They are known to have a particularly poor and unpredicable disposition, it takes rather large ones to venture into the bush after a wounded buff. These are not organic hand fed bovines but free range ones with an attitude. A little research will also tell you that even African antelope are known to be tougher than their North American and European counterparts due to the nature of where they live, what they eat and the need for flight due to high levels of predation.

There are many PH's that post in these forums and their advice should be considered.

Good luck in your quest.

Dick. I am interested to know about your experience of hunting. You speak knowledgeably of hunting dangerous game in Africa.

User

I want to take buff with a .460 rowland 1911

People in HELL want iced tea.

Dick, a 460 Rowland with a 80gr bullet at 3050fps produces around 1 680ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. This is almost identical to a .243 loaded to the same specs. Ask anyone if they would hunt Cape Buffalo with a .243 and they would think you half daft. The fact that you shoot a lovingly hand turned mono will have little to do with the energy at impact.
    Quite right, but with the .243 you have at least much better sectional density, meaning you will get excellent penetration (assuming non deforming bullet). The 460 Roland wont get anywhere near the penetration and if some bone like say the scapula gets in the way, or God forbid, the shoulder joint, Im afraid youre done and your PH will really start sweating and develop a serious case of home sickness. (assuming he foolishly went along with you)

User

Quote Originally Posted by DickMiller View Post
    yes, 90 grs. Those of us who are truly serious about shooting will go the extra mile to make bullets on a lathe, if need be. Out of bronze, brass, aluminum, zinc, whatever material will still engrave in the rifling and gives us the velocity and other characteristics that we seek. This load has exited the chest cavity of a large Hereford bull, over 1500 lbs. But of course, and AFRICAN bovine is SO MUCH tougher, right? :-) That's why Asians push water buffalo around with a little stick, they are SO deadly a critter.
    Still can't believe this!

User

I swim with Great White, Zambezi and Tiger sharks. When they show aggression, I simply punch them on the snout !

User

Please unban Dick, I beg the mods!!!!!!!!! Pretty pretty please!!!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kreefstert View Post
    Please unban Dick, I beg the mods!!!!!!!!! Pretty pretty please!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5