Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guns in cars...

User

Default Guns in cars...

Is it expensive to have a gun safe installed in your car ? As far as I understand its legal if it is locked in a prescribed safe.

Would be useful for those places that you can not enter with a firearm - certainly better than locking it away in their safes. It would also useful if you can not carry at work, but at least you are covered for the trip. Not many employers provide safes.

Anyone had this done? I know its popular in the States, but not sure about locally.

Default Re: Guns in cars...

I think this is a really bad idea. What if your car gets stolen?

Also, if an institution provides safes, they obviously take on some of the responsibility as it is they that force you to make use of their safes. Thus, I'd expect some sort of control. I always make sure that I am the only key holder though.

Although not ideal, I'd rather leave my piece in one of the establishment's safes than in a car, even if it is in a "car safe".

As far as I know it is a no-no but I have contenplated the same idea. I agree with Count Bla that it would be better from a liability perspective to use the safe as provided but you could be in a situation where you have no alternative and then a safe in a vehicle would be better that nothing at all. My view is that even if the vehicle is stolen it does buy a bit of time as there is no immediate access to the firearm and the safe will first broken open. Also it places you in a better position in view of the question "What would a reasonable man have done?"

Fit an immobiliser, tracking device, sms notification system with your safe in your vehicle and there you go - if they bypass your alarm immobilizer, your sms system notifies you while sitting in your favourite gun free zone. while they busy disable you sms system, you activate your tracker and when they busy deactivating your tracking device, run out to your vehicle and remember your safe keys as you may require the use of you firearm that is locked away in your safe….

I’ve had a handgun safe in my vehicle a few years ago. It was very handy at times, especially when traveling a lot.
    I cannot remeber the price of fitment, but it was a standard pistol safe fitted on the body inside the boot of my vehicle.

O and add that pepperspray system that you can activate by sms to notify your son that his driving without premision or tmaybe for he car thieve busy deactivating your alarm.

+1 to Tommie....

Good advice....

Becarefull that the DFO's don't let you sign away you rights of storing your firearms in such a device. Some police stations did gave applicants a satement to sign that they will not store any firearms or ammunition in vehicles. thus take away your right to store firearms in this manner.

SABS 953-1 4.6.3 states the following:
    Type B3 firearms safe intended for temporary storage of firearms & ammunition in motor vehicles and caravans.
    4.6.3 In vehicles
    When a safe is installed in a vehicle it shall be affixed non-conspicuously to the floor or body of the
    vehicle, and the owner of the firearm shall obtain a certificate issued by the installer wherein the
    following particulars are specified:
    a) date of installation;
    b) name and address of installer;
    c) registration number, engine and chassis number and make of vehicle; and
    d) that the vehicle is equipped with an immobilizer.

And the good advice from Tommie just keeps on rolling...... lv29

User

My take on the problem where you need to leave a firearm in a car is (if you carry a Glock or similar which is very quick and easy to disassemble) to disassemble the pistol, hide the slide and frame and mag separately in the car and take the barrel with you.

My thinking is that even if the car gets stolen I would be able to make a good case in a court of the fact that I did not leave a "firearm" in the car but merely spares/parts and that in the instance off loss of the parts due to the car being stolen I still have the barrel in my possession, the barrel being the most difficult part to replace by the criminal who now has the slide and frame, and thereby making the stolen parts useless.

I have mitigated my "neglegance" and did not put a firearm in the hands of criminals - which is what the SAPS are trying to stop. The frame would be the only part of importance, iro the FCA, that was stolen. The bg's in fact stole some useless firearm parts.

The biggest problem is most probably going to be the ammo that were lost - what ammo? There was not any ammo in the car!

But still first prize in not having to leave your firearm parts in the car.

I have done the gun stripping many a times when I had to enter a certain area that no firearms were allowed and had no facilities. There were minor checks on the vehicle going in and a good chance of being searched. There are many places in a vehicle that you could hide parts on a pistol than a whole pistol on its own. In some areas it would also be possible to take the barrel with you as this becomes less detectable. Throw the barrel in the briefcase and the average scan will not reveal its presence.

"Also, if an institution provides safes, they obviously take on some of the responsibility as it is they that force you to make use of their safes. Thus, I'd expect some sort of control. I always make sure that I am the only key holder though."

Count Bla, are you sure that an institution does in fact legally assume some responsibility if your firearm must be stored in their safes? I'm sure the on-line lawyers can give the correct info but I am under the impression that the responsibility for a firearm always rests with the licensed owner. Further to this, you may not 'store' your firearm with anyone who is not a current licensed firearm owner and you should check that the security occifer who manages the safekeeping at these establishments is a firearm license holder or you could end up in a sticky situation if something should go wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast