Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Target Video Camera system

Do you get tired of walking 200, 300 and 500m too the target after every 5 rounds? I do my own reloading, so checking every shot is important. I was walking something like 3-6km per day on the range.

I eventually looked into these Target Cam systems but they all cost $500 and upwards. After shipping and importation taxes you look at R8,000 - R10,000 per system. Then these cameras is so big it will be impossible to mis them. Not safe leaving a R2,000 video camera 1m from the target.

I started to do a lot of reading and eventually, after many rands on experiments, I manage to put a working system together for my self for under R2,000 and it works up to 800m. Now I was wondering how many other people do have the same problem?

User

Default Re: Target Video Camera system

Exercise is good for you :P So is posting an intro...

Seriously though I think its a great idea. I imagine one could repurpose a cheap webcam or maybe a wireless IP security camera for this, with a laptop next to you to view.

I'm interested to hear what gear you used for this? Is the cam close to target and sending wireless, or did you put on a long zoom lens and have it by you? What screen you use?

User

haha....I was thinking of buying a quad bike

User

Get a normal spotting scope and keep a copy of the target you're shooting at next to you. Mark and number where you shoot on the target. You can ID shots (and make adjustments) and you don't even have to lift your butt off the bench. :)

User

Laziness be the death of us all!

User

jog up and down the range. extra cardio never hurt anyone....

User

Exercise, i am doing enough during the week . When you shoot with .22 or 243 even with spotting scope it becomes difficult to see the hole at 300 to 700 meters away.

I use a small video camera 35mmx35mm with wireless transmitter mounted on tripod about 1m in front of the target but to the side so it is not in the firing line. I tried to keep this as small as possible. At the bench I use a receiver hooked up with LCD display 7inch or my laptop. For the LCD i use an old portable DVD player. It works great. For the laptop I use a video capture device, then I can record the video clip while I am shooting, not worrying which shot was first and which was last. I just replay the video clip. The camera, transmitter, receiver and LCD display runs of small Lipo batteries for about 10 hours. All fits into one small plastic toolbox.

I'm Interested to hear more about the wireless. I assume this is an analog system so are you using off the shelf 2.4Ghz TX & RX? Directional antennae or standard?

User

Xplicet, It is a standard 2.4Ghx Rx/Tx within ICASA specs of 100mW, so ICASA mobile unit wont knock on your shoulder and saying you blackout half the city with a too strong Rx. You need special antennas as omni will not work on 800 meters, or you need to lift the standard omni 10m or higher. Yagi's is too big and expensive. PM me if you are interested, I can help you on equipment list and sourcing if you need.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast