Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Quail hunting questions

I've shot quail informally before, or maybe I should say opportunistically. Now I want to go out and specifically target quail, what would be the best time to hunt them, early morning or late afternoon, or maybe sometime inbetween? Another thing, do they generally prefer long short or medium grass? I've shot them in all but where should I be able to find them more often?

Thanks in advance.

User

Default Re: Quail hunting questions

The key issue with targetting is you have to wait til they arrive from their migrations, i.e. they have to be around before you can hunt them! Not sure about your neck of the woods but in the Natal Midlands/Berg they tend to arrive sometime in late-November/early-December. Your window to shoot is fairly small as by late December they will have laid their eggs and therefore should be off limits. I don't know whether the timing or shooting restrictions vary for other provinces.

Once you know they're around, I have found that morning-ish once the dew has dried off the grass is usually best. 'Medium' length grass (calf-to-knee height) seems to work best and obviously you want seeding grass, which is where they will be feeding. Ground that is sodden or slushy tends not to hold them.
    A light breeze can be good but a strong wind makes them hard to find (i.e. they sit tight and don't fly unless almost stepped on or you have a dog flushing them) and also very hard to shoot as they curve away with the wind and low over the grass.

I am assuming you're talking about Common/African Quail.

Quail shooting is extremely challenging for someone who is new to shooting. You need to be aware of what is around you as well as where dogs are if you're hunting with dogs. They tend to keep low and are very quick, I would recommend using dogs for quail, but once again, watch them, as you usually need to shoot low, so if you've got a dog that breaks to rising birds, you need to hou kop.

User

Thanks for the info guys, they're around at the moment and the season here opens next week Sunday. Flushed a few yesterday with my GSP while looking for guineas but she struggled a bit in the wind we were having. Planning a quail shoot one of the next few weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, they're around at the moment and the season here opens next week Sunday. Flushed a few yesterday with my GSP while looking for guineas but she struggled a bit in the wind we were having. Planning a quail shoot one of the next few weekends.
    Just bear in mind that gamebirds have started pairing up now, so best to leave them in peace so they breed out well for next season...

User

The season in the EC is Sept 15th to end of October.

The season in the EC is Sept 15th to end of October.
    It is? As far as I know it's the 1st May to 31 August for Quail...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    It is? As far as I know it's the 1st May to 31 August for Quail...

Those are the dates I've gotten from the 2013 EC hunting proclamation.

Those are the dates I've gotten from the 2013 EC hunting proclamation.
    I stand corrected - my apologies, I have still been referring to this: http://www.wingshooters.co.za/calendar.php Looks like dates for quail in the EC have changed recently?

Bear in mind though that the dogs will still disturb birds and are not selective. I keep my dogs out of the field pretty much entirely during spring and summer, but the window of opportunity is very small for quail there it seems.

User

As far as I am concerned there is no better game-bird for the table than butterflied quail fried in butter. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle a little oreganum over and a squeeze of lemon before serving. Absolutely delicious. [swallows hard as mouth waters]

Most of the quail I have shot have been incidental while out looking for other species.

A few years ago I was hunting big game in the Dwaalboom area. My friend on whose farm I was hunting mentioned that there were a lot of quail in the wheat fields where he was harvesting. Luckily I had taken my shotgun along. I took the afternoon off from hunting furred animals and went for a stroll in the wheat. I flushed plenty Common and Harlequin quails in the wheat - coveys of 2-6 birds. It did not take me too long to bag enough birds for dinner.

I have read Robin Barkes' and other Magnum writer's accounts of hunting quail in the wheat so if you have access to wheat-fields give it a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast