Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Your no.1 pick in carry ammo?

What is your no.1 pick in carry ammo, locally available?

.9X19: Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P/147gr Remington Golden Saber/127gr +P+ Ranger SXT
    .40S&W: 155/165gr Speer Gold Dot

Default Re: Your no.1 pick in carry ammo?

Anything on DocGKR's list, but if I have the choice, I will run with 9mm 147gr in Ranger Bonded...either +P or standard, or Speer GD 147gr, (effectively a bonded bullet in standard form) next would be non-bonded Ranger T or Federal HST...also in 147gr...then 127gr Ranger T +P+ or GD 124gr +P.

I only own one .40 and never use it for SD, but my choice in that caliber is always a 180gr. If that were not available, then the 165gr GD I guess. I am not a fan of lightweight, high speed handgun bullets.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Gold Dots are generally a great choice. But i'm happy with anything on DocGKRs list.

Recommend any 9mm PARA that is +P or +P+ bullet weights for me need to be 115 up to 127 Gran.
    Any heavier and the chances of expansion diminishing significantly, as these just can not be driven out of the 9 PAPA fast enough to get them to expand reliably.
    Although expansion is not guaranteed with any ammo.
    I would rather stack the odds in my favour from the get go.
    I carry Winchester 115 +P+ or Winchester 127 +P+
    Used to carry Corbin 115Gran when they were available good for a chronied speed out of my gun of 1421 fps!

The penetration boys are going to have a hairy fit about my list, but this is what I carry. Regard the possibility of having to shoot a BG through the arm into COM as fairly unlikely.
    he is most likely also pointing a gun at me, which means that COM is open under the arm pit any way!
    as for having to shoot through objects to reach BG's if you really believe this in likely, then you should carry ball!

In 357 Sig the 147 grns are fine as you get to drive them faster fixing the expansion problem with 9 PARA.

GG,

On the SWATG GFF course recently, you'd be very surprised how many times I shot guys in the hands/arms with the airsofts while aiming COM. That being said I wouldn't be too happy to get any projectile smashing into my hands in a gun fight, might make my day short and painful ;)

I'm currently carrying 147gr Winchester Ranger Bonded ( thanks ikor lv29) but I'm also happy with any Gold Dot (115gr - 147gr) and if all else fails I've got me a good stash of hot ball ammo ;D

User

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Goblin
    Recommend any 9mm PARA that is +P or +P+ bullet weights for me need to be 115 up to 127 Gran.
    Any heavier and the chances of expansion diminishing significantly, as these just can not be driven out of the 9 PAPA fast enough to get them to expand reliably.
    Although expansion is not guaranteed with any ammo.
    I would rather stack the odds in my favour from the get go.
    I carry Winchester 115 +P+ or Winchester 127 +P+
    Used to carry Corbin 115Gran when they were available good for a chronied speed out of my gun of 1421 fps!

The penetration boys are going to have a hairy fit about my list, but this is what I carry. Regard the possibility of having to shoot a BG through the arm into COM as fairly unlikely.
    he is most likely also pointing a gun at me, which means that COM is open under the arm pit any way!
    as for having to shoot through objects to reach BG's if you really believe this in likely, then you should carry ball!

In 357 Sig the 147 grns are fine as you get to drive them faster fixing the expansion problem with 9 PARA.
    GG
    Expansion was an issue in the past with some 147gr JHP's, this has however been rectified with most of the newer offerings in 147gr.
    That said, I wouldn't carry 147gr WW Silvertips for instance. I too prefer mid weight 124-127gr JHP's in 9x19 and have an assortment of both Speer GD's and Ranger SXT's in in my mags (not mixed) for my 9x19. Speer Gold Dot comes up tops for me everytime I have tested them (wetpack) though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Carter
    GG,

On the SWATG GFF course recently, you'd be very surprised how many times I shot guys in the hands/arms with the airsofts while aiming COM. That being said I wouldn't be too happy to get any projectile smashing into my hands in a gun fight, might make my day short and painful ;)

I'm currently carrying 147gr Winchester Ranger Bonded ( thanks ikor lv29) but I'm also happy with any Gold Dot (115gr - 147gr) and if all else fails I've got me a good stash of hot ball ammo ;D
    DrDave has told me that probably nine out of ten bodies they work on the shots are not direct frontal but angled.

Geoff don't a shot to the hand to get him to drop the gun. While being shot in the hand isn't pleasent trust me on this he may still be shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Carter
    GG,

DrDave has told me that probably nine out of ten bodies they work on the shots are not direct frontal but angled.

Geoff don't a shot to the hand to get him to drop the gun. While being shot in the hand isn't pleasent trust me on this he may still be shooting.
    Absolutely BigT! I like working on the idea that unless a BG's head is separated from his body by 3 feet, he's still a threat ;D.... I'm just strange that way grn1

User

As US tankers say" shoot it until it changes shape , or is on fire".

This, and other incidents like it, is why guys who are serious about using a handgun to stay alive pick a reliable handgun, a good round and then train, train, train. Chances are that your gun or ammo will make much less difference than your training, tactics, determination, and skill with what you have. It is also why they will never choose a handgun when a better weapon...rifle or shotgun...is available and can be used under the conditions.

Lots of lessons here, even if the parameters don't fit the 'usual' civilian encounter...

http://www.lawofficer.com/news-and-a...incident.html#
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast