Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Exclamation No way around it... So are you a prepper?

Good day all,
    Saw a couple of posts relating to prepping here in SA and glad to know I'm not the only one!
    You can read a bit more about me on my profile or Intro thread or check out www.survivalistboards.com
    (I post under the same name.)

Really I didn't want to hi-jack any ones thread so thought I'll post my own.

I am a self confessed Prepper, Survivalist, what ever you want to call us. Yes, if I win the lotto I'll probably be held up on a self sufficient game farm with my underground bunker full of guns but I'm not rich so chances are I'm alot like you. Building up what I can as I go, For now I'll make do with a cupboard of preps and a few knives.
    (To clarify, if you haven't read my page or into I am a Temporary Resident from England and as far as I know and as far as the people at the police station know I cannot apply for my competency or license a firearm till I am a permanent resident. Soooo, finally talked the Mrs into getting her SD licence so we will be purchasing a Glock 19 9mm in the new year.) As you can imagine this puts a serious downer on Security and on my prepping!))

Anyways I digress, I notice some hostile behavior on other threads geared towards preppers or convo's about BOB or EDC.. I wont list all the reasons I prep, but basically firstly Its good to prepared in SA due to strikes, loss of power or water etc... Secondly If your not blind you can see the way the world has been for a while and you can see the way its going. The fact that most the people I know if the UK are unemployed and we "THE WORLD" are heading into another recession. Who's to say it wont be like the great depressions around the world with hyper inflation and a collapse of law and order? Look what happened in ZIM?

Even if your not too into prepping "Yet" Do some research before you reply and see that alot of America is actually gearing up for a civil war. Even the DHS who has purchased more guns and ammunition than what the entire US government did in the 11 year war in Iraq and Afghan. Scary stuff.
    Thats America you say? They all crazy you say? Well their economics unfortunately effect the rest of the world. They effect us.

Thirdly, I have heard alot of things about a coming war between blacks and whites, I get the impression this has been around since 1994 and take it with a pinch of salt but just watching the news of strikers all I can say Is I dont fancy hoards of people coming down the street to take what you have and try kill you! To me that would be the ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! lol

To cut the long story short before I rant on forever and being very upfront I am looking to put a group together.
    People that don't live to far from each other, that are interested and preparing for what ever reasons.
    People that want to improve on their skills be it Defensive, Practical, Fitness, Bushcraft, preparing or off grid living.

A group that can rely on each other, train together, prep together and if we have to one day survive together.

Sorry for being so forward, if you want to think Im a bit mad then do.. I dont care.
    The only lack of OPSEC I will disclose is that I currently live in Boksburg so looking for fellow preppers/survivalist from Gauteng area. If you would like to chat about such things then please send me a PM.

TO ADD - In allllllllllllllllllll honesty, I don't know a great deal of people here in SA so figure the best way to meet knew people is to put it out there. Btw I started the group with a fellow member with similar ideology, he is the author of http://civilizationsend.wordpress.com/ CHECK IT OUT!!! Not bad for an SA PREPPER HEY!?

Most other people I know and chat to agree to some level but mostly laugh, let em laugh.
    They all say they are coming to mine when the shtf, let em. They wont get in ;-)

User

Default Re: No way around it... So are you a prepper?

Great introduction. I hope, at least, to learn a lot from you.

User

I wont say i am prepping for anything, but i have been researching quite a bit on some off the grid options. For example rain water harvesting, water filtration and purification. Solar/wind power generation, battery driven appliances, vegetable gardening, etc.

Who knows where we all end up, but should the SHTF, i would want to know how to setup some of the above to ensure i have at least some form of water source/power food etc.

Will be checking out the 2 links you posted as well, sure Ill learn a thing or 2 there.

User

Not yet a prepper, but very interested. Already started with the precious metals a while ago...

Thanks for the links, will check them out!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zillard View Post
    I wont say i am prepping for anything, but i have been researching quite a bit on some off the grid options. For example rain water harvesting, water filtration and purification. Solar/wind power generation, battery driven appliances, vegetable gardening, etc.

Who knows where we all end up, but should the SHTF, i would want to know how to setup some of the above to ensure i have at least some form of water source/power food etc.

Will be checking out the 2 links you posted as well, sure Ill learn a thing or 2 there.
    Cool man, Thats awesome if you have some of the off grid stuff set up. You'd be miles ahead of me!
    I'm currently what the yanks call an apartment Prepper or Urban prepper.
    A quick google search will give you loads of info on both.

Knowledge realy is power with stuff like this but unless your a Cody Lundin type survivalist then a bit of prepping goes along way. Puts you miles ahead of everyone else.

To you and @Looddrupple, thanks for checking the links if you have. Survivalistboards is another forum but has more info than you'll know what to do with! When I get a chance I'll load up my list of sites I regularly visit will be a great help if your just starting out.

Alot of guys get pre-occupied with the BOB, yes its great to have but chances are your house is actually more secure than most in the world. Here in SA bugging in can be just as important. Guess you just have to think about what situations may arise and how you will tackle them.

The thing I realised is alot of people here in SA are prepared with out being preppers so to speak. They have skottle braai's, gas canisters, camping equipment, firearms, knives, tools, BOV's (Bug Out Vehicles) as standard holiday 4x4 SUV's and Bakkies.
    Honestly once you throw in some gardening, extra ammo and atleast a months supply of food your already there!

Yes mate @Looddrupple, from what Ive read Silver 1oz bars and coins are the best to invest in and smaller denomination Gold if you can afford it. Good for trade, barter and getting the hell outta dodge if you have too!
    Personally I cant wait till I have my company up and running so I can spend my extra cash buying silver! Once I have a gun ofcourse!!

User

Default No way around it... So are you a prepper?

Hmmm...

Interesting, I wont call myself a prepper but do feel the need to be... well... prepared.

On the barter issue, I see a lot of guys mention gold, silver or jewelry for trading once everything goes belly up.
    I however do not agree with that.

When the people start starving they are going to want food.

When they want to cook and eskom is awol, they will want to make fire.

When the stress is high due to the circumstances they will want to relax.

When the looting starts they will want something for protection.

When they get sick they will want meds.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

If I m in a situation like that, gold/silver will not convince me to let go of my food/ammo/alc/meds/fire making eq. for a piece of metal.

Ever heard o Selco? Got the link off of gunsite and that was a real eye opener for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9380 using Tapatalk

User

Interesting point. I've read somewhere that a box of Bic lighters from Makro turns into gold once the shit hits the fan. Not a bad investment.

That takes the cake, as far as intros go!

Welcome, Soutie Prepper.

I have spent time in Croatia (incl Dubrovnic), and have read a lot about situations like Sarajevo, Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, and others - the impression that I am left with is that being prepared is what saved those that came out not looking too worse for the ordeal. Sadly, it would appear that "prepping" has become some sort of swearword, used primarily by anti-gun lefties to describe traits of paranoia.

We are prepared to a reasonable degree, in that we have discussed courses of action should things go pear-shaped. We have ID-ed sources of fresh water and alternative energy/fuels, and keep a rotated inventory supplies. I feel however, that our approach may be superficial, in that it has largely evolved in isolation of others.

I am keen to learn more, and will check out your links.

ATB
    Sweet

User

Howz it @GVC86!
    Dude I agree, I said exactly the same to friend a couple months back!

The Gold and silver is like a hedgefund and primarily for when we are major decline after hyper inflation has hit. When the rand is worth nothing the precious metals still will be. Even if its less than what you paid for it, It may get you that extra litre of fuel, some meds, food or even get you out the country.
    Also dont forget IF there was some kind of collapse you're always going to get the people that think it'll return to normal soon that will be willing to trade what they have or think of it this way.... If I had a beef farm and wanted to sell, trade or barter my stock, I would trade it for accredited coins and bars, meds, Ammo or what I need at that time. Look at every farmer, they maybe the richest people in the world after a collapse! lol

But your right, in a complete world collapse who knows what will happen? It makes sence to have a few 1oz silver bars but I would rather have things like meds, pain killers, antibiotics, lighters, clothes, PLENTY OF AMMO, militry gear, Comms equipment, Booz, Drugs, tobacco etc.... The list goes on. lol

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    That takes the cake, as far as intros go!

Welcome, Soutie Prepper.

I have spent time in Croatia (incl Dubrovnic), and have read a lot about situations like Sarajevo, Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, and others - the impression that I am left with is that being prepared is what saved those that came out not looking too worse for the ordeal. Sadly, it would appear that "prepping" has become some sort of swearword, used primarily by anti-gun lefties to describe traits of paranoia.

We are prepared to a reasonable degree, in that we have discussed courses of action should things go pear-shaped. We have ID-ed sources of fresh water and alternative energy/fuels, and keep a rotated inventory supplies. I feel however, that our approach may be superficial, in that it has largely evolved in isolation of others.

I am keen to learn more, and will check out your links.

ATB
    Sweet

Thanks @Sweet, appreciate it.
    Keep at it, and great news about the BOL. Im still deciding!
    Oh and I agree.. Prepping is just seen as weird or extreme by many but is seriously growing. The guys in America are making a mint off the whole hype. Good for them I say but its the american government blaming and creating spin on the prepping movement.
    Oh and the bloody doomsday preppers giving us all a bad name!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast