Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

We have a game farm located just outside Potch. I have been hunting during the day there for 15years and for 10years at night. I never knew that Aardwolf's existed there until a farm-worker got pissed and was racing back from from town in his bakkie and hit one. I was fascinated by this animal and very sad to think that there might be a female without a mate.

I would be happy to feed a chicken a day to a resident Aardwolf should there be one, just to keep him there and healthy.

And we have polecats as well and the thought hasn't ever even crossed my mind as to why someone would want to shoot it?

Default Re: aardwolf en muishond jag

I don't think it would even eat a chicken. They really only eat termites.

As for muishond, I don't think the OP meant polecat, rather some sort of mongoose.

Either way, neither should be hunted, but I can understand the killing of a mongoose when it discovers the eggs in the chicken coup.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I don't think it would even eat a chicken. They really only eat termites.As for muishond, I don't think the OP meant polecat, rather some sort of mongoose.Either way, neither should be hunted, but I can understand the killing of a mongoose when it discovers the eggs in the chicken coup.
    Most hunted mongoose is the white tail mongoose.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Way to push the whole hunters are about conservation line.
    Well T, the guy did ask first and not just go out and blast them, which is quite responsible IMO.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    This is quite a big thing this predator hunting.
    Which predators are you talking about?
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Banned

This thread has begotten weird !.

User

No it started weird.

I shot an aardwolf once. It's leg was mangled by the bear trap it had stepped on. I would much rather have shot the asshole poacher who set the trap.

User

The aardwolf aka maanhaar jakkals is certainly not as abundant as the regular blackbacked jackal.It is also not troublesome at all.Sometimes it can be confused with a regular jackal at night where the optics and light are not adequate for making a positive ID.It mainly eats insects and is often to be found in the area where there are lots of termite mounds.I have seen plenty whilst out calling jackal and we have even taken video of them.The aardwolf will and does scavenge meat.It has tiny jaws compared to a normal jackal and is quite alot smaller.As for the mongoose there are a few types and often people also get confused between the afrikaans muishond and english mongoose(Myself included).I would think that a poultry farmer may have some reason to dispatch a troublesome mongoose but that is about it.
    Last edited by G-force; 24-09-2013 at 11:34.

Banned

Said thread got weird, - just found out the animal I am thinkin of is a aard vark. Thanks G - its the Vark I wanna see

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast