Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User

Default Re: aardwolf en muishond jag

When I was younger and a lot more ignorant I also shot loads of birds and other small animals, most if not all where either eaten or used in other ways. One day I shot a frog with the pellet gun, and it was as if I received a big slap in the face from the universe, I had never before that day killed something for no reason other than killing and my views changed almost over night. I am an avid conservationist now, and will not even kill a cockroach just because it is a cockroach, because it hasn't done anything wrong, its doing what it is supposed to do. I don't have any problems with hunting, as long as it is done for a good reason and the animal is not wasted; but shooting just for the sake of shooting or killing is an ego thing. If you really want an ego boost, try hunting another human being who is also armed, and knows the bush and tracking just as well, or in most cases, better than you. It quickly changes your perspective on things. We as humans have done enough damage to this planet, if everyone of us just tries to change our perspective, even if its just with the small things, we will see a change for the better.

That's just my personal perspective.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal.204 View Post
    Aardwolf and Brown hyena are two different animals.

Aardwolf:
    Proteles cristata

Brown Hyaena:
    (Parahyaena brunnea)
    Um, Yeah, Got it, Thanx! SheepRabbit already told me that...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal.204 View Post
    No, the aardwolf skull is way smaller than a hyena skull.
    Thanks, I thought as much. That is why I asked.

Balubear

Um, I think you are on the wrong animal here... The Aardwolf is the topic, Not Aardvark...
    Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Why do you want to shoot an Aardvark?
    This is why I posted the aardvark pic.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Balubear

This is why I posted the aardvark pic.
    Noticed, thanks!

Many years ago I worked at a wildlife rehab centre. There was an aadrwolf there, and I watched it almost every night for about a year. It had been hit by a car If I recall and had some damage. It only ever ate termites and other insects. I saw it catching moths that had been attracted by a light. The only other food it ate was a mixture with pronutro, egg and calcium supplements that was to supplement the diet, when we were running low on termites. One of my tasks was to collect termites, and I literally filled up 2 large chest freezers with termites in season.
    Just to note, there was ample opportunity for the aardwolf to eat meat, day old chicks, or many other forms of flesh and never once did it go near the stuff.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy View Post
    Many years ago I worked at a wildlife rehab centre. There was an aadrwolf there, and I watched it almost every night for about a year. It had been hit by a car If I recall and had some damage. It only ever ate termites and other insects. I saw it catching moths that had been attracted by a light. The only other food it ate was a mixture with pronutro, egg and calcium supplements that was to supplement the diet, when we were running low on termites. One of my tasks was to collect termites, and I literally filled up 2 large chest freezers with termites in season.
    Just to note, there was ample opportunity for the aardwolf to eat meat, day old chicks, or many other forms of flesh and never once did it go near the stuff.
    Well what more proof is required.

User

I know of a handreared aardwolf that takes catfood and mince but this is rare. For interrest the aardwolf has very underdeveloped teeth and a large flat tongue it mostly licks up the termites then flattens them against its palet before swallowing. Their teeth is not really suited to eating meat.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf777 View Post
    When I was younger and a lot more ignorant I also shot loads of birds and other small animals, most if not all where either eaten or used in other ways. One day I shot a frog with the pellet gun, and it was as if I received a big slap in the face from the universe, I had never before that day killed something for no reason other than killing and my views changed almost over night. I am an avid conservationist now, and will not even kill a cockroach just because it is a cockroach, because it hasn't done anything wrong, its doing what it is supposed to do. I don't have any problems with hunting, as long as it is done for a good reason and the animal is not wasted; but shooting just for the sake of shooting or killing is an ego thing. If you really want an ego boost, try hunting another human being who is also armed, and knows the bush and tracking just as well, or in most cases, better than you. It quickly changes your perspective on things. We as humans have done enough damage to this planet, if everyone of us just tries to change our perspective, even if its just with the small things, we will see a change for the better.

That's just my personal perspective.
    What he said

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6