Thread: Whitworth who?

Default Whitworth who?

Hallo Everyone,

A search for some information force me to put fingers to keyboard - not necessarily a bad thing as I hope to get lot more from the forum than just one information request. I am an avid gun, reloading and shooting fanatic and would gladly spend 95% of my time hunting rather than working, but reality and the cost of living unfortunately allows only so much freedom. In any case here are my questions:

I recently bought a Whitworth .458 Win Mag Express – or so I’m told. Research on the web reveal a lot of good, bad, unrelated and generally conflicting and confusing information and mostly references to a Mark X which seem to have replaced the Whitworth. The following inscriptions / names appear on the rifle – all above the stock-line:
    1) Barrel – Left side just in front of the receiver ring:
    Cal .458 Win
    2) Action – Top of Receiver Ring:
    Whitworth in a elliptical border
    3) Action – Left side of Receiver Ring:
    Whitworth
    4) Action – Left side of Guide Rail
    Alexandria Virginia, Interarms, Manchester England (with two small logo’s)
    5) Action – Right side of Receiver Ring:
    Serial number
    The stock, rifle and bore seem to be in very good condition apart from a smallish crack in the stock in the pistol grip just behind the action tang that has been very well repaired. It features a toggle safety on the right hand side of the tang as well as a “normal” Mauser type safety incorporated into the bolt-shroud – which seem a bit funny? The action is very smooth and cycles the .458 cartridges very well. The magazine plate is hinged in front with a release incorporated into the front of the trigger guard.
    The iron sights are a three leafed “express” type with 100 fixed and 200 and 300 flip-up and a bead up front with no cover.
    The trigger is a fully adjustable for travel, release weight and incorporates a setting for the safety as well.
    The forward sling swivel is on a barrel band just in front of the stock fore-end.
    The fore-end seems to be ebony or some similar black wood. The grip cap is blued metal. The recoil pad is a solid 1” rubber, with Whitworth printed on the back. The wood to metal finish is very well done.
    I got the rifle for a steal and could not resist. Any information on this rifle will be most welcome.

Apart from info on the rifle does anyone have a set of .458 Win Mag dies and some cases lying around for sale?

Good Hunting,
    Henco

User

Default Re: Whitworth who?

Welcome!

User

hpy180

I have one like that modified to 458 Lott, Decelarator recoil pad, 20" barrel and synthetic stock. Mag floorplate has been permanently affixed because they are known to pop open from time to time with undesirable consequences.

I have 458 Win Mag cases from before the rifle became a Lott - will check how many.

Howzit!
    ;D
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2