Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 404 Jeff

User

Default 404 Jeff

Hi Guys,

so back is 2002 my old man had the guys at Classic Arms build him a 404 Jeff on a ZKK 602 action with a Truvello barrel and a nice piece of walnut for the stock. at this stage he was quite nervous as to what was going to happen with the FCA, so he just never bothered doing anything with the rifle.

Now this rifle had been bothering me for some time, so i eventually i told him i want it for my self and after me twisting his arm a little he eventually said i could have it! So i went through to the shop paid the balance and started the ball rolling. Now i'm proud to say that this lovely little rifle is home safe and sound I have put 20 rounds down range in the last month, my eyes are not that great and im finding the open sites a little difficult on anything further than 50m. what scope would you guys recommend? something that will be able to handle the recoil and also allow me to shoot out to about 150m. I have also already ordered some Impala 280gr as i doubt ill be taking any dangerous game in the near future, so the 400gr are a bit much.

any other recommendations and advice will be much appreciated IMG_00000055.jpgIMG_00000058.jpgIMG_00000054.jpg

User

Default Re: 404 Jeff

Pretty rifle.... but that's a Mauser action, not a ZKK ;-)

:- P

User

Nice rifle ... Congrats ...

I like Leupold for eye relief ... If money's not an issue, the new VX6 in 1-6 power is magnificent ... On the other end of the spectrum, there is always a 1-4 VX2 and of course everything in between ...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Pretty rifle.... but that's a Mauser action, not a ZKK ;-)

feel like a bit of a poepol now could you shed a bit more light, did brno use the ZKK actions and also Mauser or was i fed a bit of bull?

User

Quote Originally Posted by zakiwi View Post
    Nice rifle ... Congrats ...

I like Leupold for eye relief ... If money's not an issue, the new VX6 in 1-6 power is magnificent ... On the other end of the spectrum, there is always a 1-4 VX2 and of course everything in between ...
    Thank Zakiwi, I am a little strapped for cash but i dont want to buy something that im not going to be happy with, I was also looking at the Nikons Bushnell and Sightron.

User

Not Bushnell.

Nikon, yes. Burris, yes. I don't really know Sightron (no experience with it), but both Nikon and Burris can compete with Leupold, I can promise you that.

Find something that's gonna withstand the recoil. No use spending 3k on a scope that breaks.

Out of interest what's your budget.

Nice rifle BTW. I have been fortunate to shoot a fair number of Big Bores and the 404 is my favorite by a long way. Its a sexy looking cartridge as well ;)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Budaa View Post
    feel like a bit of a poepol now could you shed a bit more light, did brno use the ZKK actions and also Mauser or was i fed a bit of bull?
    It may well be an earlier BRNO action like the VZ24, which was basically a Mauser copy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vz._24

I don't think it's a later ZG47 (very much still a Mauser-pattern), all the pics I see of those are square-bridge actions (yours have round receiver rings)

ZKK is an "improved Mauser" design. Safety is action-mounted (not bolt-mounted), bolt release is completely different (not requiring the split ledt recoil lug) along with some other differences. Action is square-bridge with integral dovetails and a recoil recess on the left of the rear ring. The CZ550 is the modern version of the ZKK, with all the same features in a slightly neater packaging.

Check out the engraving on the action itself. My bet is on a VZ24, and there's nothing wrong with that. All new "Musgrave" rifles are built on VZ24 AFAIK...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Check out the engraving on the action itself. My bet is on a VZ24, and there's nothing wrong with that. All new "Musgrave" rifles are built on VZ24 AFAIK...

You are correct. It's a seriously great action.

User

Thanks for all the replies! the amount of knowledge here is amazing! i will take a couple more pic of the action tonight and load them in the morning. Steveb, I was really hoping to get away with about 5k but im sure i can push that though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast