Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

The limit issues etc. should be decided by individuals themselves. Take advice from here, but if not comfortable don't accept it as gospel. Almost the entire FCA is open to interpretation. I know there are lawyers on here, but I know as many lawyers who give other interpretations. If uncomfortable, apply for a permit because "they said I could do it on Gunsite" is not going to be a guarantee of a favorable outcome when a magistrate or judge, interprets things differently. Also remember that none of us giving opinions here will be next to you in the dick.

User

Default Re: a Few questions regarding DSS.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer-el View Post
    The limit issues etc. should be decided by individuals themselves. Take advice from here, but if not comfortable don't accept it as gospel. Almost the entire FCA is open to interpretation. I know there are lawyers on here, but I know as many lawyers who give other interpretations. If uncomfortable, apply for a permit because "they said I could do it on Gunsite" is not going to be a guarantee of a favorable outcome when a magistrate or judge, interprets things differently. Also remember that none of us giving opinions here will be next to you in the dick.
    Sadly you are correct here. I have sought professional opinion on this and my personal choice is to not have more than 200 rounds of ammunition of a specific kind that I only have a SD (Section 13) licence for. As for my Section 16 stuff, I will load till I run out of components.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    Direct Excerpt from the FCA
    Restrictions on possession of ammunition
    (1) The holder of a licence to possess a
    firearm referred to in Chapter 6 may not
    possess more than 200 cartridges for each
    firearm in respect of which he or she holds a
    licence.
    (2) The limitation in subsection (1) does not apply to

(a)
    a dedicated hunter or dedicated sports person who holds a licence issued in
    terms of this Act or any other holder of a licence issued in terms of this Act
    authorised by the Registrar to possess more than 200 cartridges for a
    firearm in respect of which he or she holds a licence on good cause shown; or
    (b)
    the holder of a licence to possess a firearm issued in terms of this Act in respect
    of ammunition bought and discharged at an accredited shooting range
    Even if I didn't know about this issue regarding the limit of 200 rounds, what I read from your excerpt would've told me that I now can own more than 200 rds. Maybe it's because English is my second langauge. What is chapter 6 ?

User

(1) The holder of a licence to possess a
    firearm referred to in Chapter 6 may not
    possess more than 200 cartridges for each
    firearm in respect of which he or she holds a
    licence.
    (2) The limitation in subsection (1) does not apply to
    —
    (a)
    a dedicated hunter or dedicated sports person who holds a licence issued in
    terms of this Act or any other holder of a licence issued in terms of this Act
    authorised by the Registrar to possess more than 200 cartridges for a
    firearm in respect of which he or she holds a licence on good cause shown; or
    (b)
    the holder of a licence to possess a firearm issued in terms of this Act in respect
    of ammunition bought and discharged at an accredited shooting range
    This kind if answers it for you...

The act doesn't say limit applies to certain FAs..

This is pretty clear isn't it? If dedicated status, it does not apply to a license in this act. A license according to this act, not which section...be it sport or self defense.

I guess you can read what you want from it. But that seems pretty clearly written. No need to overcomplicate it.

I am doing SAPDA with my SD licensed FA. I want DSS so I can store more ammo. Kinda hard storing plenty of hollow points and then have enough space for range ammo.

The FCA says you may shoot sport with a SD FA. So does this mean I must change my license to sport when i get DSS to store more ammo??? I think not..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

User

CHAPTER 6 is LICENCE TO POSSESS FIREARM information

Sadly ravingDIODE it is also left to interpretation.
    e.g. The limitation in subsection (1) does not apply to a dedicated hunter or dedicated sports person who holds a licence issued in terms of this Act.
    Does this mean the licence for only the firearms licenced as dedicated firearms, or does this mean all the firearms licenced in your name?
    I would say it's for that specific licence, otherwise it could say "The limitation in subsection (1) does not apply to a dedicated hunter or dedicated sports person who holds any licence issued in terms of this Act"

Kinda like the interpretation regarding competencies, by not having to redo your competency as long as you have a firearm licenced in that category. This is biting people at the moment.

Ideally, you could take your SD licence and reapply using a Dedicated Sport and in doing so store more ammo. When has the FCA ever been convenient for anyone?

User

Well it says, a license, not a sport license or self defense license.

'A license' does not specify, then it isn't important. Otherwise they would say a S16 license etc..

I see what you mean yes, but still don't agree.

Ideally? There is no need for that. Act says we can use SD for sport. It also says if you have dedicated status, then ammo limit does not apply to a license issued in this act. My SD license is issued in this act, and i can use it for sport.

Why am I even arguing about this?!..sigh need to get back to doing my maths tutorial now.

Anyhow, i'm off..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

User

The joys of interpretation I guess :)

If you choose to store more than 200 rounds while your pistol is SD even though you have DSS, that is your choice.

I will circumvent this by going out and getting another 40S&W and licence it for sport :)

CHAPTER 6 is LICENCE TO POSSESS FIREARM information

Sadly ravingDIODE it is also left to interpretation.
    e.g. The limitation in subsection (1) does not apply to a dedicated hunter or dedicated sports person who holds a licence issued in terms of this Act.
    Does this mean the licence for only the firearms licenced as dedicated firearms, or does this mean all the firearms licenced in your name?
    I would say it's for that specific licence, otherwise it could say "The limitation in subsection (1) does not apply to a dedicated hunter or dedicated sports person who holds any licence issued in terms of this Act"

Kinda like the interpretation regarding competencies, by not having to redo your competency as long as you have a firearm licenced in that category. This is biting people at the moment.

Ideally, you could take your SD licence and reapply using a Dedicated Sport and in doing so store more ammo. When has the FCA ever been convenient for anyone?
    a license and any license is the same thing. If the intention was to limit to a specific license it would have read something like ".... holds a license issued ito section 16 of this ACT."

The joys of interpretation I guess
    Which is a specific portion of the law. Which you also don't know. I'd really, really like to see a reasoned legal argument supporting your view.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

The joys of interpretation I guess :)

If you choose to store more than 200 rounds while your pistol is SD even though you have DSS, that is your choice.

I will circumvent this by going out and getting another 40S&W and licence it for sport :)
    Based on your interpretation you would have to then distinguish between the .40 ammo for SD and the .40 ammo for sport shooting seeing as you don't want to break the law ;-)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast