Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Lanyard Retension Devices

What are your guys opinions confused0083 confused0083 confused0083 on Lanyard retension devices for handguns? Do you use them, have you have used them. Would they be used for every day carry or just in exstreme cases???????

Default Re: Lanyard Retension Devices

What the hell is that thing in the attached pic?

Do you mean by lanyard retension devices, shit that hangs around your neck like neck knives?

User

no its from belt to firearm to prevent losing it if it falls!!! swattie said he gave one a strong tug and it broke, so i guess its no good for keepinggun in your hands confused0083

On this note, I recall seeing a video clip of an Italian cop running away from a rioting crowd (he was on his own) with his B92 dragging behind him on his lanyard like a string of tins on the back of a honeymoon car.

I don't think that they are intended to stop a grab, just to stop you losing your blaster during strenous activity.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

I have one for my Glock. It is the retractable type and I find it acceptable and that I am able to operate the gun without any real noticeable interference.

I do think that it does add a bit of protection against a gun grab but not a lot. I do not carry it under normal conditions but If we go for a quick hike in the bush, I prefer to use it. The reason being that you might cross a stream or move over a rock crevasse and then bumping your gun out of the holster and with this device you then have a better chance of not losing it.

User

I think that if you have the firearm in your hand and it is taken away from you you are going to loose it if it's fitted with a lanyard device or not and if it gets knocked out while hiking the gun is going to hit the ground anyway. Secondly I foresee problems transferring to the other hand with that thing attached.

If you are worried about the gun getting knocked out of the holster or grabbed while in the holster rather go for the Safariland ALS holster which has a retention device that does not interfere with the natural grip and draw of the pistol. http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=6378 This holster is well made and works very well for it's intended purpose. Very useful imo when one is walking alone in crowded downtown Pta for example.

Or try a Black Hawk Serpa holster. I prefer the Safariland for that purpose.

Khumba..... lv29

Valid points, I am not worried if it hits the ground or not when hiking but say you are crossing a stream or at the edge of a cliff, then it would go a long way to assit in not losing your firearm. Transferring from one side to the other might/will have its issues but they can be overcome.

In general I have holsters that do give quite a bit of retention and it might not be such a major concern. The lanyard device was also a cheaper option than some of the holsters you mentioned.

I do feel that there is some use for a lanyard device although not massive and it does have its issues but they can be managed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ
    What are your guys opinions confused0083 confused0083 on Lanyard retension devices for handguns? Do you use them, have you have used them. Would they be used for every day carry or just in exstreme cases???????
    They used them in the world wars.

Hi guys

I am a resevervist (Sgt) in the SAPS and I use a a blackhawk lanyard .

It is non restrictive when using my firearm and It adds a extra level of retention, I also use a safariland 6004 thigh rig.

I work in a township and I feel better having it especially when we often chase suspects between the shacks and there is all sorts of shit on the ground. If you fall you could easily loose your grip on your gun.

i like the idea, i assume that these devices are aimed at open carry for duty, cant imagine useing one when i carry concealed in an IWB, but it is a brilliant device and i would consider it seriously if i were to rejoin my police reservist days :)

and if you pay attention you shall see that a many large number of modern guns still make provision for the use of a lanyard or similar device, so that has to be saying something...

sucks a bit in battle if your buddy is down and u need his sidearm if he is tied to it hpy71

Maybe thats why the ranger creed reads, leave no man behind, you have to run with him in order to shoot his gun, hahaha, but jokes aside, let me not rip off the Rangers or Delta, they are the real men standing in front of us citizens...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast