User

Default Lee Enfield No4 Mk1* Long Branch

Hi,

I would like to get some inputs.

I looked at a LE that is for sale. It is marked No4 Mk1* Long Branch 1944 similar to this (the safety is also the same):

http://www.bdlltd.com/Military_Firea...nchC3_MK1.html

I established up to now that these rifles were manufactured in Canada. It looks in fairly good shape and the bore seems to be good as well. Only other markings I could see was the serial nr and below it a C or G.

I would like to know a little more about these rifles. How did they end up in SA?

One thing that was odd to me is that it looks like the metal work was polished to an almost mirror finish, all the bands and the rear ring of the body. Was this normal for these rifles? Does it have some collectors value or can I shoot it?

I am looking for one of these rifles purely for sentimental reasons and some variation at the range. I was actually looking for a No4 Mk2.

Regards

Default Re: Lee Enfield No4 Mk1* Long Branch

Quote Originally Posted by cvil View Post
    Hi,

I would like to get some inputs.

I looked at a LE that is for sale. It is marked No4 Mk1* Long Branch 1944 similar to this (the safety is also the same):

http://www.bdlltd.com/Military_Firea...nchC3_MK1.html

I established up to now that these rifles were manufactured in Canada. It looks in fairly good shape and the bore seems to be good as well. Only other markings I could see was the serial nr and below it a C or G.

I would like to know a little more about these rifles. How did they end up in SA?
    - so many ways it could have ended up there, it was a standard issue rifle of british commonwealth and other units who joined into the allies from 1939 (the no.4 mk1* issued)on.
    the possiblilities are endless of it's origen, however the complete serial number and all markings in detailed pics, I could narrow it all down to which unit, armoury, perhaps soldier if issued, and of course it's manufacturing origen.

One thing that was odd to me is that it looks like the metal work was polished to an almost mirror finish, all the bands and the rear ring of the body. Was this normal for these rifles? Does it have some collectors value or can I shoot it?
    some of them, of those piece/parts were polished and blued, however most weren't to mirror finish, that may be some owner TLC.

I am looking for one of these rifles purely for sentimental reasons and some variation at the range. I was actually looking for a No4 Mk2.

Regards
    first off check the headspace, bore, firing pin protrusion, and trigger pull.
    -headspace, if headspace is out, it's going to require another bolt head.
    -bore- rifling, if its 2 or 5 groove left hand or 6 right hand.
    Headspace
    minimum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.63 mm (0.064 in.)
    maximum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.88 mm (0.074 in.)
    base maximum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.78 mm (0.070 in.)
    Striker Protrusion
    minimum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.02 mm (0.040 in.)
    maximum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.27 mm (0.050 in.)
    Barrel
    Plug Gauge, GO 0.3009 in. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Shall run through the bore.
    Plug Gauge, NOT GO 0.307 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Shall not run through the bore.
    Plug Gauge, NOT GO 0.308 in. . . . . . . . . . (1) Shall not enter the bore at the muzzle end
    more than 6.35 mm (1/4 in.); and (2) Shall not completely enter the chamber at the breech end.

those would be the first off checks, there are numerous other checks to do, but those are the basic to complete on checking prior to purchasing. I would remove the bottom and top fore end furniture as well to inspect the barrel, as over time there's rust under them and on the barrel more than quite frequently. while those are off, check the trigger, springs, and sear as well. Inspect the bolt assembly, and sights. sighting these things in requires numerous front sight posts to raise and lower the MOA/MPI, additionally there were/are a few rear sight assemblies.

if it has all the ancillary equipment with it, like bayonet/pig sticker, oil bottle, etc,... bonus.

as for collectors value, that would be up to collectors, and of course the numbers of them in country.
    Here in canada they're not much of collectors, certain serial numbers and models are, but the average issued war time enfield, no, there's abundant numbers.

If you end up getting it, I can help you out on the armourer's manuals, and drill manuals, if you desire, I'm qualified armourer/tech/smith on these old babies, have inspected, maintained, handled and fired literally thousands of them, and have everything for them.

cheers, good luck with your purchase.

User

Civil, the Long Branch rifles were regarded as the best made of the No. 4 series Enfields. (No. 4's were also made by Fazakerly in the UK and Savage in the US among others)
    All the sniper No. 4 rifles were converted from selected Long Branch rifles because of their superior accuracy.
    In bygone day's the Bisley shooters coveted two .303 rifles; the P14 and a Long Branch No. 4.
    As for collector value, they are held in slightly higher regard as the other No. 4 rifles, if in good shape of course.
    But by all means, shoot it.
    They were standard issue in the SA Army.

User

Thank you for the replies guys.

The idea was definitely to have the head space checked, but now I can look at the other things as well. Thank you for the info.

I did take some pictures but cannot see the serial number clear enough. As mentioned, there are no markings on the metal other than the serial nr and a G ( or C?) below it.

My grandfather used to have a No4 Mk2 that he used for Bisley. I remember that he mentioned that there were different grooves and that he also preffered the on over the other, can only guess it was the 5 groove that they were talking about.

>> They were standard issue in the SA Army.
    I could not see any markings and my understanding is that all rifles were marked by the respective armies that issues them. That is why I am wondering how it came to SA.

I also have the Parker Hale 5C rear sights. My try them on this one...

Regards.

Regards,

User

Civil, the SA military did not consistently mark all their firearms. It seems by the time many of the No. 4 rifles arrived, after WW2, they were were not marked anymore. I've seen No.4 Mk2* rifles bought from the SA mil that had no mil marks on them.

User

OK,

I checked the serial nr again and it is 70L00XX. Below the serial nr it is stamped "G 1".

Any significance to these numbers?

I also confirmed that it is a 5 groove bore.