User

Default Mini 14's and other semi autos in SA

I'm looking for a rifle for 3 gun shoots. Before the introduction of the FCA I followed the view of Quantity maybe a bit before quality. By this I mean buy a fire-arm even if second hand and a bit beat up - you could always get a new one later. Those days are gone. I will only ever be able to motivate one semi-auto rifle. Because of this I would like it to be new. The ideal gun for me would probarly be an AR-15, with a close second being the mini 14. Taking price (dollar based on American sites + import duties + vat) into consideration it would most likely be the mini 14. How do you get a new one with a few 30rd mags? Can you get a new one with 30rd mags? Calls to a couple of shops make this seem unlikely! Mention of State dept bans etc. etc. Do I buy the first rifle that comes along and make sure I get one? How legal is it for me to import magazines with out a liscence - apparently some of the smaller American companies don't seem to care for State dept. policy. I just don't feel like being arrested collecting a parcel from Cape mail! Will guys in the know please give there input.

Default Re: Mini 14's and other semi autos in SA

The only SA rifle youre going to find new at the moment is the CX4 or a Dashprod. The latter won't factor for IPSC. Not sure about the former. In the light of the logistical problems with regard to ARs and Mini 14s, Id look for a LM4/5. You could also look into a Raptor, but it's a bit of an unknown at the moment.

You can also find nearly new FALs or G3s if you look hard enough.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Firstly the Mini14 is nowhere near close to an AR in functionality, accuracy, usability etc etc - but I understand when you say for YOU it is an AR or close second a Mini14.

That said the Mini14 will definitely be you best option taking into consideration all of money - availability - ammo etc, BUT reliable mags may be a problem as you cannot get them exported from the US so you will have to make sure you get mags with the rifle when you buy the rifle for sport shooting.

Though it may not be your first/best choice - imo the Dashprod or Raptor or LM are better than the Mini14 for the purpose and just as available (the Raptor is available according to Truvelo but LM are becoming less available) but the Dash will not factor for IPSC- these rifles will cost you more than would a Mini14 but you gain a lot for the extra money - plenty of parts and mags and much more durable rifles imo.

The following article from the Suarez International Newsletter:

MINI-14: What It Is, And What It Is Not

Tom Cornelius - Suarez International Staff

If you read the rifle section on Warrior Talk, you notice that there is a pretty steady flow of questions concerning the Mini-14's usefulness and capabilities as a defensive or fighting rifle. There are close to a million Mini-14 rifles out there and my guess is they are selling pretty well as of late.

What it is.

The Ruger Mini-14 was first produced in the mid-70's with a blued finish, wood stock, and course peep sights. They have always been light, handy rifles that are easy to carry and shoot. Think scaled-down M-14 at 6lbs. You can find these rifles in gun safes, pickup trucks, the corner of a ranch workshop and in a person's home as a fighting rifle. A lot
    has been said about the mini -14 being inaccurate or unreliable...I think these notions need to be put to rest.

The Mini-14 is not and will never be as accurate as a tier one AR-15 at longer ranges. However, when used at the distances were most fights take place accuracy is just fine. Think "minute of man" not "minute of angle." Almost all reliability issues with the Mini-14 can be traced to after market magazines. If you stick with Ruger factory 20-30rd magazines your Mini-14 is gonna run. Another feature these rifles have is very little sensitivity concerning what ammunition they are fed. I have shot everything from 40 grain soft points to 69 grain match , and plenty of steel cased ammo through a 580 Series rifle without a hitch.

The current generation of Mini-14 rifles are designated 580 Series. The differences from the Mini's of the past are: Factory flash hiders on rifles available to civilians, thicker barrels, front sights that are similar to M-14 front sights, rear sights that similar to the "ghost ring " concept and an ejector that is fixed. There are also some factory Mini-14's that can be had with a pistol grip and folding buttstock.

Attributes: Light

Reasonably reliable

Accurate enough for fighting

Not ammunition sensitive

BUT...

The Mini 14 does not have.

The ruggedness of an AK

The reliability of an AK

The availability of uncountable sources for magazines + spare parts

Most do not have a rugged pistol grip stock(firearms with a pistol grip are superior in a CQB fight.)

So Here's The Deal

Get an AK... But if that's not going to happen for whatever reason and you have a Mini-14, try this.

1. Use factory 20-30 round magazines.

2. Get a sling on your Mini (I like the MASH hook style from O.S.T.)

3 Have a method for keeping extra magazines with you. ( A rifle fighting bag is probably the best thing you could have for this duty)

4. Get yourself enrolled in a Suarez Fighting Rifle Skills Class. (To get the best results from your equipment and yourself, you must receive training.)

User

My mini14 is the "gun" that does the most shooting - and thats on a farm. Keep it clean and lubricated and there is no malfunctions. Accurate enough up to 200m on 6" gongs. The only problem I have is collecting the brass after a shoot.

Does anybody know where I can get a good scopemount. Still have 2 Mini14's in the safe that needs mounts. They are starting to feel let out.

CC

fighting0002

I cut my teeth in 3 gun rifle on a LM5(back before we were allowed to fit compensators in place of the flash hiders).LM5 is a good battle gun.I always had a pre- conceived idea a mini 14 was inferior until I fired one that did not even have a flash hider on.Surprisingly it was light and swung quicker(easier) from left to right and vise versa on multiple targets due to its lighter weight.It also recoils lighter with the same ammunition...something I attribute to its lighter slide.When shouldered hard(like we always do)the LM left marks(light blood blisters)on the meat of your strong side shoulder...although it was never painfull.The only breakage I ever experienced on the LM was a broken extractor.

After firing the mini that day I was swayed and let go the LM for a mini 14.In all the years of using the mini I recently broke an extractor.I now have spares in case that happens again.
    Is the mini better than the LM? ..I like the mini specifically because it grips and shoulders like the Shotgun ie.no pistol grip.It really does not matter though...if need be I will use an LM or any other rifle.I shared an AR 15 with a fellow shooter in a match when my mini's extractor broke and the AR is fine...the bullets don't get there on their own.

Out to 150 m on steel plates the Mini with open sights knocks them down...up close fast and furious it can be a very fast firing semi auto.See the pic...10 doppies in the air ouside the extraction port and the rifle is staying flat...the compensator helps too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Thanks for the post CST 68. I've bought a mini... Be honest it was the price that led me in that direction. After I'd paid for it, remember thinking... have I done th right thing. Now I need the licence... let's just say it is the "most waited for gun ever!"

Hope you get it soon and that you can make it work you :)