Thread: Glock vs Kharr

Default Glock vs Kharr

If you look at just about any US gun mag, you will see a advert from Kharr. There seems to be a bit of a 'war' going on between these two manufactures from the side of Kharr with them making statements like "Why own a Block when you can own a Kharr?"

Who knows anything about Kharr pistols? Are there any in the country? If they were available in SA would they be a viable option?

Default Re: Glock vs Kharr

I seem to recall some dealer who brought a couple in. They weren't very successful at marketing them. They are also very finicky with reloads due to excessively tight chambers. So I've read anyway. I guess they seem OK from a slimline concealment point of view or backup. Once again, would you want to face multiple adversaries with a single stack pistol? However, I do see how they could be useful for folks with small hands, ladies, etc.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    If you look at just about any US gun mag, you will see a advert from Kharr. There seems to be a bit of a 'war' going on between these two manufactures from the side of Kharr with them making statements like "Why own a Block when you can own a Kharr?"

Who knows anything about Kharr pistols? Are there any in the country? If they were available in SA would they be a viable option?
    Hi there corne,

i bought a brand new Kahr MK9, this was the sub compact in matt silver, the frame and slide were both stainless steel the MK9 stood for Micro K 9mmP, the models were originally marketed as the "K" series, this was before the others were launced, i read about them extensively, and my favourite gun writed, Massad Ayoob, rated the Kahr very highly and stated that it was in his opinion a ggod alternative to the Glock in terms of reliability, durability and build quality, as for THORKIND's advise, on the money, the tolerances were so tight, there is NO rattle, not even close, these little guns are built to such tight tolerances and the fit is as close it it can get, more tight then any other gun i have seen, and i have seen just about all of them.

so i have owned the sub-compact Kahr MK9 and the subcompact Glock, now you are asking, well Andy if the Kahr was so good, why then do you no longer have it and still own your Glock 27? Was it because you prefer your 40Sw round over the 9mmP, not at all, the only fault that i found on the Kahr MK9 was that due to the gun being all stainless the weight was too much to bear for such a tiny package, and the round count was only 5 9mmP rounds, and that was also by far too little in-gun for me. The bigger K9 and K40's which are the compact versions may be a better bet, and now i believe that Kahr have introduced the PM9, which is the sub-compact 9mmP but with a polymer frame, now that might just be the ticket. So now all of you are saying, if i can carry a Glock, then why buy a Kahr, and my answer is, have a look at the size of a MK/PM9 or MK/PM40. they are tiny even making the Glock sub's look large in comparison, and the fact that they are single stack, makes then really much leaner across the grip. Expect a two finger hold though, unless you use the mag with the grip extention, which affords you an extra round to toal six in-mag, the trigger on this gun is strange, it is a uniform feel from the beginning to the end of the trigger pull, and it is quite a long pull, but it is by no means unpleasant, sorry that i am only commenting on the MK9, but it is the only one that i have owned/ shot. I did love the gun, but felt that it did have to go as it was not a practical gun in my eyes as the sub is too heavy for its size and i was not happy to carry only 5 or 6 rounds of 9mmP in a pistol which was as heavy a package as the MK9.

please find below two pics of me with my MK9, took them in my hand so one could compare the size of the pistol. And i do apologise for my ugly mug in the pics.

I have owned and shot both the Kahr all steel pistol and the poly framed model in .40 and have owned and / or shot many Glocks of all descriptions and sizes. The lightweight Kahri is nice to carry but even here I prefer more capacity. The all steel guns are just too heavy in my opinon for regular carry with only 6-8 rounds of 9mm...more so in SA. If I was going to deal with all that, I would just use my Colt Officers Model LWT 1911 in .45...7+1 with Wilson mags...and no, I do not have any Kahrs left...sold them and got Glocks or H&Ks.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

here is the pic

and the other:

User

I understand that NYPD removed them from the approved off duty list. One of the reasons put forward seems to be spotty reliablity.

Andy, I know you are a good sport, so I am going to be a bit pedantic, next time please get the trigger finger in register, this means get it away from the trigger guard fighting0035 hpy71

User

I was just WAITING for you to say that!! ;D