Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Controversial AR-15, is it reliable or does it choke?

I always wanted an M-16, it was the cool gun that the American Army used, the Marines, Delta Force, Rangers etc. But apparently it’s not reliable, so why would an army with the biggest defence budget in the world and the one that seems to see most of the action choose to arm itself with an unreliable rifle? But it didn’t matter really, I wanted one anyway. Now for those that have any experience with or handled some of the semi autos out there, with particular reference to the Vector R /LM series rifles and the FN Fal or R1 with which many of us are familiar, will know that some of these are quite heavy. The weight, balance and ergonomics of the AR-15 is fantastic and that is what makes it such a special rifle. I’m not going to go into the debate about which is more reliable, remember the AR-15’s that most of us see on the South African market were mostly manufactured in the 1980’s and there have been various upgrades since then. The fact is, the AR-15 is reliable enough for the USMC, but point taken, they have a bottomless pit with which to maintain them. I’m attaching some pictures of these rifles from Iraq (these aren't mine) showing some of the conditions they have to with stand.

Got an AR-15? Care to share your views? I’ve seen some Colt AR-15’s and know there are some ER-15 rifles around South Africa, anyone got an ER-15 with some info to share on them?
    All the best Craig

These aren't my pictures, apologies if these are yours, I'll remove them if required.

Some AR-15 Links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15
    http://world.guns.ru/assault/as18-e.htm
    http://www.ar15.com/ (Great AR-15 info on this site, and a really great bunch of guys, highly recommended )
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Default Re: The Controversial AR-15, is it reliable or does it choke?

There are also some Norinco 311's around. Don't care for the AR system much. It has some ergonomic advantages over the AK system but it's downsides outweigh those advantages. Don't like direct gas impingement, don't like fiddly mags or the strange things one has to do to keep it working: deliberate gas ring misalignment and carrier key staking for instance.

Here's a link:http://www.defensereview.com/modules...ticle&sid=1077

Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

I think saying some ergonomic advantages is a bit of and understatement, especially when compared to the LM's, AR's are almost perfectly balanced. However, AKM's have a much better weight distribution than LM's due to the stamped receiver. The AR's seem more pistol like in form and function, light, comfortable and quite natural to fire.

I know, I'd already read that article :-\, but just can't help liking them.

I agree, they are a pain in the ass to clean and they do need to be cleaned, and there are loads of parts to the bolt and carrier and then trying to clean the chamber behind the locking lugs + + + :-[.

The gas ring problem has been sorted, just buy a one piece gas ring, job done, and the carrier key stacking only seems to be a problem on the cheaper variants, Colt, LMT, Noveske apparently don't have issues.

And I just don't understand why mags are such a problem, and they really seem to be on the AR system, so just buy the HK AR mags at twice the price of the Colt mags and you'll be fine.

I still like them, see, I just convinced myself again!
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

I have read that the HK mags have some durability issues no experience myself just what i have read on the errornet. Personally i an happier with the AK system.

I agree Big T, if my life depended on it, I'll take an AK / LM everyday!

Not sure about the HK mags, just heard they were the bees knees, so to speak, wouldn't pay their price though, I'd just buy more cheap ones!
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

HK mags apparently work well when new, thereafter not so much. Read good things about the Magpul Pmags. When was the last time you heard anyone say this AK/Galil mag works and this one doesn't?

Craig, what AR did you buy?

As for pistol ergonomics: the only pistols I can think of that you can use your index finger to activate the mag release (darrenhanders notwithstanding) are the USPs and the PPS.

The AK system has a different manual of arms. Once that is accepted then the perceived ergonomic problems diminish.

Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

SSP, True, to all the above.

Its a Colt SP1 Carbine.
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Hi Craig

I have used almost all of the various AK's out there as well as both the M4 and M16 system, now I cannot quote all the spec's and tech info to you however the area's of operations I used these in were well shall we say AUSTERE environments and I was never let down by the M4 or M16 I prefer these over the AK series both on reliability as well as ergonomics the two exceptions to the old sov block weapons which I would use any day were the:
    Czech VZ58 also known by some as the SA 58 and the PK machine gun

the rest well give me the M series anyday.

controversial as it may sound if given a choice between our R series (R1 being the exception) I would take an M4 anyday.
    on the SMG front I used both the H&K mp5 as well as the PAF copy and the PAF copies I used were more rugged, more reliable and never ever let me down

abhm
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

Excellent report ABHM, thanks.

I do not have the experience in the AK and did my Mil with the R1 but I just love my CQB sized AR and will not swop it for any LM or AK.

Will maybe? consider swopping it for a SIG 552 , the rifle bottom of pic attached.

Imo the negative reliability reports originated in the Vietnam era with the first rifles and lack of initial maintenance?

Attached Images Attached Images

yep the Vietnam era reports were mainly due to bad maintenance and bad ammo that has all been changed
    I will say this for US Mil the do make mistakes but at least they learn from them (well most of the time, why the went with the M9 still beats me) look at how they brought back the m14 variants for the marksmen units.
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast