Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Schmeisser vs Daniel Defense

I bought the Schmeisser M5F, but still waiting for license. It is obviously difficult to ignore the recent threads about the Daniel Defense.. thanks Khumba. Not.

Anybody out there that shot both and care to compare these two?

User

Quote Originally Posted by GameFarmer View Post
    I bought the Schmeisser M5F, but still waiting for license. It is obviously difficult to ignore the recent threads about the Daniel Defense.. thanks Khumba. Not.

Anybody out there that shot both and care to compare these two?
    There is one positive point regarding the Schmeisser that the DD does not have: no ITAR issues with regards to parts. HBA has also been an importer/agent for them for a while. Other than that, it beats me! buy both?

User

Default Re: Schmeisser vs Daniel Defense

Gamefarmer, I cannot talk from a shooting perspective, but when Khumba was giving me the rundown of the AR's he spoke highly of both rifles. I had the opportunity to handle both, and in the end it came down purely to price. I could not see an extra R4k's value in the Schmeisser, but then again, I do not know enough about the rifles in general..... I think you bought a very good quality rifle.

For me I would rather go with German QC vs USA QC [I believe there would be a higher chance of getting a lemon with a DD than with a Schmeisser] but as you can see the German QC costs a tad more, Both are DI so if that's what you wanted cant go wrong there, Schmeisser has a LW Barrel , DD has a CHF Chrome Line Barrel so the Schmeisser should have much better accuracy but the DD will have more durability but only if you think you might be going to war soon then yes that might be important?? That is what I like about the German made SIG you get a CHF nitrated barrel so you get the best of both worlds ..................sorry could not resist....................

But honestly either Rifle should give you a lifetime of hassle free fun shooting.

User

Manservant and CobusG, thanks for the feedback..

PARMKK I like what you say. Especially seen that I already bought the Schmeisser.

I'll stop second guessing myself now and concentrate on optics. Just about the same price as the rifles..

User

I'll stop second guessing myself now and concentrate on optics.

Good, you won't be sorry you got the Schmeisser, even if you paid more for it than you would have if you got any of the other top quality AR's.
    With the Schmeisser you get an absolute Teutonic Precision / German anal retentive obsession with quality control / built like a Swiss watch / Uber Sturmgewher (Oops, sorry Sport waffen), with the associated pride of ownership that comes with giving it a good home. The first time you clean it and examine it in detail you will know you made the right choice. I know this because I own one. But I believe mine is a bit of a one-off in SA. Mine is a mid-length gas system 16incher with the A2 front sight so that I could fit Magpull handguards which I find more comfortable and practical than rails. I was lucky enough to order it that way. The others all come with the rails and railed gas blocks if I am correct.
    I have done a lot of research (reading up) on the Lothar Walther barrels and I am confidant that even though they are not chrome-lined they will last a very long time. The barrels are made from extremely high quality steels, they start out more accurate and tighter than many other barrels so they will stay accurate and usable for longer, . . . if you do your part and maintain it as you should. Personally I do not think that not having chrome-lining or advertised surface treatments is much of a disadvantage, Ruger mini 14s have been made for years with no linings or barrel treatments other than blueing and there are thousands of them that have ridiculous numbers of rounds through them and they are still perfectly usable.

Congratulations on your purchase.

User

The USA AR manufacturers have much more experience in building AR platform rifles than the Germans and for that matter anyone else.

More so for the top 6 or so of the top tier AR manufacturers in the USA.

The DD rifles have much better furniture fitted out of the box than the Schmeissers - especially the hand guard. The furniture and hand guard of the Schmeisser can be upgraded but at cost.

The DD gas block fitment is superior to that of the Schmeisser.

If you want a 1/2 moa at 100m 5,56 AR and hunting rifle maintenance of the bore then the Schmeisser is the better choice. The Lothar Walther barrel is very good and will have a long service life but not at 1/2 moa for the duration of the service life.

If you want a barrel that will give you 3 times the service life of the Lothar Walther barrel, low maintenance and a 1.2" or so moa at 100m then the DD is imo the better choice.

The DD V5 and V7 are quite a bit lighter than the Schmeissers and the DD LW models quite a lot so.

The DD has imo a better out of the box trigger than the Schmeisser.

DD manufactures all of the components of the rifle in it's own facilities so I believe the overall quality control of the complete rifle is better than that of the Schmeisser. Schmeisser can only assure the quality of the parts they make and of the assembly of the rifles.

User

M43

You got me all exited now. Yes I bought especially with the German precision in mind.

I come from a couple of generations of hunters, where the driving force has always been accuracy. One shot, one kill. I realize that the same accuracy is more difficult to achieve with this platform, but hey, I'll still give it a shot.

Post some pictures. Would love to see what yours look like now.

Here is mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    If you want a 1/2 moa at 100m 5,56 AR and hunting rifle maintenance of the bore then the Schmeisser is the better choice.
    This exactly want I want . I don't mind the extra cost for furniture. Already bought some.

Thanks for your obviously honest comparison. I like that.

User

If you send me a pm with your email I will send you a picture, I have difficulty attaching a picture here, it doesn't seem to upload.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    If you send me a pm with your email I will send you a picture, I have difficulty attaching a picture here, it doesn't seem to upload.
    Cool.

Check out this for pics in future: http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...th-Photobucket

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast