Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Otter Trail

User

Default Re: Otter Trail

These links are from 2011, not sure if anythings changed...

http://www.climbing.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?p=38054

On Saturday, July 16, a group of 11 Western Province Mountain club hikers were robbed while camping on the Otter Trial. This happened near the Andre Hut No. 2. SANParks officials then informed the group that there had been 5 previous incidents at the same hut quite recently. Brian Savel says if the previous victims had spoken out to warn hikers, they would have been more vigilant about their belongings.

He says the area near the hut is the most easily accessible from the road and closest to civilisation, which makes it easier for criminals to pounce. He wrote a letter to the Cape Times to warn other prospective hikers. SanParks officials have been unavailable for comment.
    http://sciencesightseeingandsustenan...-look-out-for/

The huts in the last camp are set a fair way apart but there’s a nice boma in between so you can all sit together. This camp also has the nicest shower, with a lovely sea view! The illusion of being alone in the wild is a bit destroyed here by having guards come down and sit in the middle of the camp at night – apparently there’s been some problems with crime. They were lovely though and we were glad they were there.

Quote Originally Posted by bloukaas View Post
    Did it in May 2005 and again in Nov 2012.

Comments below is based on what I can remember of the top of my head. Given more time/effort I'll probably remember more, but for now here goes...

SANPARKS regulations say 'thou shalt not edc...' Should you decide to not adhere, the following will probably apply:
    It's doable but far from ideal to carry at 3-4 o'clock with a typical backpack weighing in at 16-20kgs. Since the trial is (or at least has been) virtually crime free, a side pocket on your backpack could do, alternatively you can also try a moonbag or similar as you should have ok'ish time to get to FA. You'll be hiking with at least your buddy, if not the whole group, so you can also have FA in the most accessible back pocket on buddy's backpack with you following closely. Carry method will also depend on whether the rest of the group is known to you and whether you're happy to share the fact that you're carrying.
    In retrospect, most ideal would be an inconspicious holster on the hip strap of the backpack, i.e. on the hip, but not between backpack and body.

On Food:
    there are four overnight huts. If you start with frozen vacuum packed steaks you can braai the first two nights. Starch came in the form of mealiemeal (putu) topped with tomato and onion (heavy but lekker), and two min noodles the second day. Third evening was one of the expensive cape union mart dehydrated meals. Overkill, but adds a bit to the 'survival' experience :) Evening four ended up being snacks - salami, mussels, pringles etc for dinner.
    We also packed a cucumber of all things, but it made for a nice addition on the first two nights.
    For breakfasts we packed 2 x servings of pronutro and 2 x oatso easy. I don't like the latter and replaced with jungle bars. Similar energy content. Nescafe/Enrista coffee sachets.
    Snacks/Lunch. This is where it's a bit more difficult to plan, but we packed more or less the following per person (this is indicative as you snack the whole time when taking rests, and will obviously depend on your personal taste):
    2 x 2 min noodles
    3 pouches of tuna/chicken (latter is not as dry)
    2-3 tins of mussels
    couple of small packets of TUC biscuits/pro-vitas.
    1 x melrose cheese wedges
    1 large tube of pringles
    4 x Super C/Enerjellies
    2 small packets peanuts and raisins
    biltong/salami/droewors. Not a lot as it makes you more thirsty
    8 packets of Game powder (1 on day one, 2 for the next three and one for the last day)
    dried fruit/fruit rolls
    tobasco sauce
    salt
    We were only left with 2 packets of game, 1 packet of peanuts and 2 x oatso easy between two people.

You need a small CampingGaz cooker per 4 or 6 persons. One 250g canister should last 2-3 people for the duration of the trip.
    Tin Cup
    Fork and Spoon
    Folding Knife with can opener

Small container Sunlight Liquid (100ml's or so)

There's the option to phone in for booze/braaipack/snacks on day 3 for night 4, but in my opinion that's defeating the object.

On Clothes etc:
    Blow up cushion was worth taking with.
    One set of Columbia or similar shirt and pants (zip-down is better) for hiking.
    Another change of clothes for the evenings and sleeping.
    3 pairs of socks.
    x jocks.
    Depending on weather forecast you might need a lightweight rainproof jacket. But not a big deal if not cold as you get wet from the inside in any event :)
    Many people ziplock all their clothes. I only had two sets and as such backpack got unpacked on a daily basis. If adverse weather, get rainproof backback and/or repack clothes in liner or refuse bag in backpack and/or use raincover for backpack. Depends on what you have.
    Sleeping bag. Lightest you have, and doesn't need to be a minus 40 model.
    Slops. Useful in the evenings and at river crossings.

On river crossings:
    VERY dependent on conditions. First time Lottering was way worse than Bloukrans (day 4). Second time round, Lottering was a walk in the park, Elandsbos much more difficult (iirc), and Bloukrans was a proper crossing utilising dry bags, survival bags, duct tape and cable ties, and we had a proper lagoon crossing at Natures.
    The others are more dependent on recent rainfall, but Bloukrans is a tide play and also dependent on the current shape of the sandbanks. Again iirc, at full and new moon, the difference between high and low tides is at max, and it's at its min right in the middle (first and last quarter). In 2005 we walked through with water just about knee-high. It was at full moon. Nov last year we caught it in the middle and at low tide we had to put cameras in dry bags in backpacks and backpacks in survival bags and float those and ourselves through. Ensure that there are no sharp protrusions and ensure survival bag is sealed properly.

Walking stick - the most underrated piece of equipment.

Water bottle - we carried 1 x 800ml bottle each, and another 750ml between two of us. Integral hydration packs worked better. Also bought a 'life straw' which worked quite well. Didn't use any purification tables and no side-effects, but we were careful as to the size of the streams we picked to drink from.

Booze - personal preference dictates. Beer is heavy and heats up. Whisky decanted into 500ml PET bottles less so.

Headlamp with new batteries. You might need to get up at 3am on day 4 to start hiking in order to catch bloukrans at low tide.

Toiletries - little bit of enviro friendly shampoo/shower gel. toilet paper. sunscreen. toothpaste and brush. Only take one tube per x number of people. Every little bit helps.

A basic first aid kit. We used a needle and transact plasters. Sensible to add the 'usual' such as immodium, antiseptic, plasters, blister treatment etc. Works better if a larger kit can be shared amongst the 12 people than everyone taking his/her own basic stuff. There weren't any mosquitoes, but we encountered ticks in two places.

2005 total backpack weight was 25kg on day one, dropped about 3kgs of stuff on the first night and ended the hike at about 18kgs.

2011 started with 19kg, ended at about 15kg. Much more pleasant.

duct tape.

Make sure that you get down to 'Blue Bay' for lunch on day two - really worth it. And take it easy overall. Rather stop more often and enjoy the scenery along the way than rushing it to camp.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks Bloukaas exactly what I was looking for. This information is invaluable. As per d7e7r7's info, I read a similar thing so would prefer edcing now just a question of how and where to carry it. Again thank you so much for this info

User

Does your companions know you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Kreefstert View Post
    Does your companions know you carry?
    Yes they do a few of them started edc'ing since I've introduced them to the world of firearms. Of the crew of 12, 4 are brother in laws and the remainder are all cousins

User

I EDC'd my CZ-75 (only one mag -THVs) on all the hiking trails I went to, including the Otter, Tsetsimaka and Outeniqua. I carried in the side pocket of my backpack. Not the ideal position, but it's there none the less. At night it was a lot closer to me though.

For lots and lots of hiking info, I suggest www.bloukous.co.za

User

Perhaps some kind of utility pouch attached to the waist belt of your backpack could work, but obviously not one that is shaped like a firearm.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by P1LGR1M View Post
    Perhaps some kind of utility pouch attached to the waist belt of your backpack could work, but obviously not one that is shaped like a firearm.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 4

Biggest problem I currently face is I own and carry a fullsize USP, based on my backpack it will be hard to find somewhere to stash it. I was thinking a leg rig but the legalities of that are a problem, also I lose the element of surprise but I have considered it as an option if it's only the family on the trail. Will tuck it away when I get to the huts

Another thought is a chest rig of some sort very plain one that can go under straps of the backpack and the rig can be covered with a light jacket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2