Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Car thief’s wrong choice turns fatal

Kimberley - A suspect, who allegedly tried to break into an Audi A4 belonging to the provincial secretary of the Northern Cape Civics Organisation (NCCO), Glen Chase, was killed after being hit by one of several bullets that were fired through the vehicle’s window.
    A murder case has been registered and is being investigated by the Kimberley police.
    The incident took place behind the Kenilworth cemetery in Kimdustria while Chase was apparently listening to music with a lady friend in the back of the vehicle on Thursday evening at about 10.20pm.
    It is believed that several shots were fired from a 9mm pistol through the tinted windows when three suspects tried to break into the vehicle.
    The window on the driver’s side as well as another window were smashed.
    The suspects fled the scene while the body of one man, who was shot in the jaw, was discovered in the veld, a short distance from the scene, a day later.
    No arrests have been made yet.
    Chase opened a case of attempted robbery at the Kimberley Police Station.
    Chase’s attorney, Rick Ishmail, on Monday indicated that a court date had not been arranged for his client yet.
    “I am not at liberty to disclose what my client was doing at the time of the incident,” he stated.
    Chairman of the Northern Cape Civics Organisation and family spokesman, Ross Henderson, believed that Chase had acted in self-defence.
    “His life was in danger and he made use of a licensed firearm. If Chase had not protected himself, he risked being brutally assaulted and hijacked while the woman could have been raped. We will leave the matter in the hands of the police to investigate.”
    He added that no one else was injured during the shooting, although extensive damage was caused to the vehicle.
    “We are very relieved that Chase was not injured during the incident.”
    While he did not wish to speculate on the motive behind the incident, he added that personal security had been arranged for Chase as a precaution.
    Police spokesman, Lieutenant Donald Mdhluli, said the police were investigating a case of attempted robbery and murder.
    “It is alleged that a 38-year-old man was sitting with a friend in his vehicle when he noticed three male suspects next to his car. It is alleged that one of the men smashed the window of his car. It is further alleged that the owner of the Audi A4 fired several shots, allegedly hitting one of the suspects. A forensic investigation is under way to reveal what actually happened. At this stage the police cannot divulge more information.”
    Anyone with information regarding this case is requested to contact the Kimberley police on (053) 838 4331 or Crime Stop on 08600 10111 (SMS 32211).

Any thoughts? on the above article this morning.....

Regards

User

If he first identified himself and warned them that be was armed with his pants on his ankles (I mean come on, listening to music?!) they could have shot him if they were armed. There was no way of knowing if they were and imo he couldn't take that chance things being as they are currently in SA. What else could he have done? Warn them and hope he can fight of three guys that may or may not have been armed?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk now Free

User

Default Re: Car thief’s wrong choice turns fatal

Any idea if his firearm was seized for ballistic sampling?

User

To many unanswered questions.

User

I think the friend probably got paid per session.
    If I was in a "compremised" position and 3 BG's start smashing windows. Odds are that they would get ventilated as well. If you have a weapon able to smash a car window you can smash a scull.

User

Another BG asshole in the ground.

We should watch this case very closely!
    I think his reasons are very good. If he can show a little bit of his case he should be ok.

User

If he didn't shoot when he did and they were armed, they could easily have shot him through the door, frame or windows without him being able to see and engage them. Shooting at one guy you can't see is already impossible but three? I would have shot as well... But then again, I would not have been caught with my pants down in the back of my car near a graveyard!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk now Free

User

if you're inside your car and somebody is seriously trying to break in.... i'm sure that's enough reason to fear for your life.
    why would that be any different than somebody busy kicking in your front door/gate and you can clearly see what's going on....

User

I'm watching this with interest. Legalities aside, I do not think his response was at all unreasonable.

User

I think that if he is married he may have more trouble coming his way from the homefront rather than from the cops :)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast