Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Family thinks I am paranoid....

Hi guys,

I have a bit of an issue or rather my family does, I am a very big gun enthusiast and I love every single firearm there is, I am 23 and already own 3 firearms of which 2 are rifles and 1 a SD handgun for EDC.

My family thinks I am paranoid and crazy for having so much firearms already, and they all either leave the room or cringe when I walk into the room with my handgun,this gets even worse when I clean my rifles.

My family asks me why I carry my handgun and I reply by asking "why do you have a spare wheel in your car?" then they go off and say it is not the same and blah blah blah...

Please help me,how can I convince them that I am not crazy only prepared

Thanks guys

Default Re: Family thinks I am paranoid....

The answer to the questions why do you carry or why do you have so many guns is always: because fuck you, thats why.

You don't have to justify yourself to anyone, including family.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    The answer to the questions why do you carry or why do you have so many guns is always: because fuck you, thats why.

+1

User

Bwhahahahahaahah epic

User

I agree with ssp.Judging by their reactions described by you they are not going to change their minds unless.

User

Get new family.

Oh wait...

No I understand. I've been caught cleaning my guns when people come visit, and if they look scared I make a point of taking my time. Letting them stare at my guns. Showing them I KNOW how to handle them, making sure they are safe, etc. etc. I've had a few interested queries before and people actually really interested, and before long I'm on a roll telling them how it's not really such a hassle to get licences and all that.

Don't stop. If it's your house/room/whatever, make a point of standing your ground. Owning guns isn't like owning a car (they are correct there). Owning guns is a lifestyle. It's a mindset you have that distances you from others. You don't have to explain it to them, you don't have to defend yourself, you don't have to feel like you are doing something wrong. Even if you don't carry a gun or even own one for SD, it's still that mindset. Gun-haters hate guns - they don't care how it looks or what the purpose is. I'd recommend rather educating them than going "f--- you", but SSP does have a very good point.

User

Like SSP said you don't have to justify yourself, but then they are family so it kind of matters what they think.

Tel them hunting/sport shooting is just like any other sport. If someone in your family plays golf say this is your golf clubs. On the EDC issue tell them the SAPS has declared you competent and fit to posses the firearm, and authorized you to carry it with you. We live in South Africa where crime is a real problem an you just want to be prepared when the SHTF. Give them the spare wheel & seat-belt analogy.

Then the only reason I'm asking is because this is the idea I'm getting from your post: Do you still live with your family? If so maybe now is a good time to get your own place.

User

I have one that works well. I tell people when they ask. You've know me for so long had being a armed person changed the way I am? Have I ever made you feel scared? No?

Than I get the but it's dangerous. What use is the use against a BG with an AK?

They wanna not look out for them selfs there is little you can do. It's the same as carrying a med aid card or life insurance or home/car insurance. You aren't sick or dead or your shit stolen.

Remember sheep will bleet at the sheep dog cause they fear teeth and what not. Try get the sheep dog to leave so they feel better.. TILL the wolves come over the wall.

People with their head in the sand have their bum in the air!

Oh YES!!!

I love that!

+1

My 2c, just know in your heart that you are a sheepdog. And I agree with SSP. Was your dad in the army? Do any of them have any experience with any guns?

User

Ever seen how people look at heavily armed police/ army or civvies with distain when they are protecting the sheep. And how those same people cry foul when the wolves attack?!

Worry not about the sheep. Your part of the sheepdog family!!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast