Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default blesbuck carcass weight

What is the average weight for a Blesbuck carcass cleaned completely? Head, skin, shins and all entrails removed - just the utilisable carcass!! Aslo for an Impala ram or ewe in the same condition.

User

Default Re: blesbuck carcass weight

Blesbuck between 45kg and 56kg
    Impala between 38kg to 46kg
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Is it really as much as that? I did not realise they were both so heavy slaughtered!

Banned

Blesbok: Live, on the hoof (mature male) = 75kg, dressing percentage = 53%, approx weight of slaughtered carcass = 32kg - 44kg
    Impala: Live, on the hoof (mature male) = 60kg, dressing percentage = 58%, approx weight of slaughtered carcass = 22kg - 46kg

User

The weights I gave is the averages we get.
    Bear in mind the upper weights is few and far between.

User

Thanks Gents - what then would be a fair price for a young Impala or Blesbuck ram for a young man trying to improve his species diversity? I have a 12 yr old who is in love with hunting and might get the chance at an Impala and for us in the Cape that is a treat! I can get him a Blesbuck for R650 and Impala for the same! What say you wise men? Deon? You live here in the Cape - is it worth travelling to kimberley for that price? - my gut says yes!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dave schenck
    Thanks Gents - what then would be a fair price for a young Impala or Blesbuck ram for a young man trying to improve his species diversity? I have a 12 yr old who is in love with hunting and might get the chance at an Impala and for us in the Cape that is a treat! I can get him a Blesbuck for R650 and Impala for the same! What say you wise men? Deon? You live here in the Cape - is it worth travelling to kimberley for that price? - my gut says yes!
    Hi Dave, I'm not a wise man at the best of times but my gut says that, that's a rather long way to drive (at quite an expense) to pay what is a pretty average price (biltong) for a belsbok or impala (R650). Maybe if you were driving all that way to shoot excess game for sale down here to cover the expense it's be worthwhile. Have you tried local (closer) farms (i.e. Badshoek). The last time I checked Badshoek's prices they were charging R500 for a blesbok and R750 for an impala. Also look at some farms in the Southern Cape that have impala (you'll find blesbok further north, towards Beaufort West). I can't imagine that you'd be charged much more than R650 for a non-trophy ram. Also look at Ibhadi Game Lodge outside Touwsriver. Not cheap (local fees = R1200 for a blesbok, R550 for springbok) but it's only two hours drive from CT (save time and petrol) and is marvelous hunting terrain (Ceres Karoo).

Remember also that we're pretty much at the arse-end of the hunting season so game is skittish and animal condition is not ideal for venison (males lost condition and females pregnant).

User

I agree with Deon.
    Why spend a potload on fuel to shoot 1 or 2 animals, when the total cost of the hunt becomes more than if you paid a little more, but it was close to home.

User

Hmm - having second thoughts although it is on a game farm and my accom is free and no day fees - a friend of mine owns it! Still in two minds!

User

Jeeez MyLani those are effing HUGE blesbok. Biggest one I shot this year was 46kg's skinned, gutted etc. Where can I find one of these monsters?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast