Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: 1-4x scope for 3-gun rifle

Quote Originally Posted by GameFarmer View Post
    SF why are you selling the other scope (http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...ett-DMS-1-4x24), if I may ask?
    It's a great scope but I have a Trijicon Reflex that will suit me better.

R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Katlagter View Post
    In the cheaper ranges, the Lynx LX 1-3x20D is not at all bad. AFAIK it comes with a lifetime warranty. I have one on a Marlin .44Mag and have had very good service from it. Lynx has good after backup service locally. It costs around R1 800,00.

Weaver has a similar scope that has a very good reputation (Weaver V3 1-3x20). It will be in the same price range, but I've never seen one locally.
    Aah thank-you this sounds like a scope to have a look at....

R.I.P.

Re the Lynx, I have not had a problem with the Lynx and the Marlin shooting from 30 to 100m, but for .22 you may have to have the parallax set for closer distances. I think Lynx should be able to do it locally.
    Please excuse my ignorance... but what does it mean to have the parallax adjusted?

User

Quote Originally Posted by francois.viljoen View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance... but what does it mean to have the parallax adjusted?
    OK, keeping in mind I'm not optics expert. Parallax error is exactly the same error we used to learn about in high school physics when measuring the miniscus on a mercury column. To minimize parallax error when aiming, riflescopes meant for centrefire rifle are normally adjusted to be parallax free at 100 yards, rimfire scopes for 50 yards. I think you should be able to let Lynx adjust the parallax of your scope to a desired distance (but I'm not sure).

Having said all that, parallax only becomes a big factor at small targets, higher magnifications and at distances far away from the adjustment range. Still, when shooting quickly and from odd positions such as in 3-gun, you may just find that parallax error becomes significant when your aiming eye is not centered behind the scope. Guys who regularly do tactical shooting with scopec rifles will be able to advise you.

R.I.P.

OK, keeping in mind I'm not optics expert. Parallax error is exactly the same error we used to learn about in high school physics when measuring the miniscus on a mercury column. To minimize parallax error when aiming, riflescopes meant for centrefire rifle are normally adjusted to be parallax free at 100 yards, rimfire scopes for 50 yards. I think you should be able to let Lynx adjust the parallax of your scope to a desired distance (but I'm not sure).

Having said all that, parallax only becomes a big factor at small targets, higher magnifications and at distances far away from the adjustment range. Still, when shooting quickly and from odd positions such as in 3-gun, you may just find that parallax error becomes significant when your aiming eye is not centered behind the scope. Guys who regularly do tactical shooting with scopec rifles will be able to advise you.
    Thank-you katlagter!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2