Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Flora Guns 100 meter underground shooting range coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    A couple of things from my side, rifle shooter primarily.

Going underground is expensive and will need concrete. If you going to spend all the money on concrete why not get concrete preforms made and stay above ground, this way you can become modular and add lanes at minimal cost, these can be covered with creepers etc to make the range unobtrusive. Or you can cast your own preforms.

You must have a place where people can sit and eat basic food like sandwich's and burgers and something to drink. This is also very useful revenue and can get the fairer sex their with the kids if there is a modest playground.

You need protection from the elements so outdoor ranges need 100% protection from UV and direct sun. Shade cloth is not the answer.

Most rifle ranges I go to I encounter people developing loads rather than plinking, one should consider these unique requirments. Possibly a small area protected from the wind with a decent powder scale and press or two for seating bullets. Small investement for another return, obviouly there will be an additional charge for this range with attached faciltity. Agree with havinf a chrony available.

If possible segregate lanes for heavy calibre's vs. lighter calibres. These can be allocated on the day depending on the mix of firearms on the range. Saw this on the bridge across Sidney harbour, in the morning there are more lanes open going one way which is reversed for the afternoon traffic.

Must have adjusting seats for the benches.

Have lockable "kit rooms" for various hunting clubs etc. these can be rented on a annual basis for these organistions to store discipline specific kit.

You asked for it.

Underground is expensive, but it is going to happen. I don't want to spoil my view and need the soundproofing. My house will be about 10 meters from the 50 meter mark of the range and I like to sleep late on Sunday mornings.

Has anybody got an idea or example of how loud the sound of a rifle can travel through the ground? I will obviously have to experiment and install additional soundproofing if need be.

The gun shop will be above ground, but the shooting ranges will be partly underground due to the slope of the ground. And yes, I am going to use mostly precast concrete slabs and a lot of plants and groundcovers.

I am planning to provide facilities for the wives and kids. A tea garden and playground is part of my plan. Beverages and light meals will be available. A beer garden and Lapa for members only will be on the far end of the property on the way out. I am not going to apply for a liquor license because I don't want to sell alcohol. It will always be "Bring Dop, Chop and Pop"

The rifle range will have all the bells and whistles. Cameras, monitors and computers with customized software. The idea of this is to see where you shoot without walking forward.

Thank you for the idea of the adjusting seats. Can anyone give me plans or sizes of the shooting benches? I was thinking of building the benches similar to those at Durban Deep.
    Chronographs will be installed on the ranges. I would like to have the chronographs permanent in position for every shot, but I need to protect the Chronies with some type of steel plate baffles that can withstand a 30-06 round.
    The pistol ranges will be separate and will be similar to the ranges at Hillfox.

A club house with loading facilities, lockable kit rooms should happen in phase 2 of my plan.
    This is going to be the ultimate shooting range in the country, but I need the input of shooters of all disciplines.

So please keep on giving suggestions.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy

User

Quote Originally Posted by Flora Guns View Post
    Has anybody got an idea or example of how loud the sound of a rifle can travel through the ground? I will obviously have to experiment and install additional soundproofing if need be.
    It would depend on what the "ground" is made up of, and the distance thereof.
    Sound travels much better through hard objects (such as solid concrete) than than through softer objects. You could get in touch with a company that does sound proofing for expert advice. Although I do suspect that if you have enough distance between the range and the ground level, you'd be left with only muffled sounds.

Question though... how will you reduce the echo/acoustics inside the range? I can only imagine the noise that a bunch of high-velocity rounds would make.

Otherwise I love your idea, and am sure it's going to be a massive success.

User

Will there be enough space on the pistol range to practice moving and shooting?

User

cant wait! Please keep the late operating hours on some days.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Flora Guns View Post
    Thank you for the idea of the adjusting seats. Can anyone give me plans or sizes of the shooting benches? I was thinking of building the benches similar to those at Durban Deep.

If you get the chance take a drive out to Surefocus, be sure to take a tape measure and camera along.

The outdoor 100m air rifle range has some very nice benches that cater to both right and left handed shooters (concrete slab over steel supports).

Seats can be a fairly simple affair but your best bet would be to invest in some drum thrones (seats the drummer of a band sits on) as these normally have the ability to adjusted for height and have decent padding on them for comfort.

User

If you could upload an Ariel photo of the land I can help, im a draughtsmen in the building industry.

User
    Living in Kempton Park working in Randburg

Sahara Shooting rage in Pretoria next to PMP will give you an idea of what noise to expect outside the range, if memory serves me right the noise of the hunting rifles does not overpower the noise of the large fans that they have to enable airflow on the ranges.

Requirements For IDPA:-
    IDPA Africa Champs
    • 16 stages minimum
    • 200 rounds minimum required
    SADPA Handgun Nationals (Southerns & Northerns)
    • 14 stages minimum
    • 175 rounds minimum required
    • 120 competitors minimum to be accommodated in the main match
    For leagues, 8 stages minimum

You can do two or more stages on one range and also use the rifle ranges as stages

I Cant wait as well!!

Regards

User

Flora Guns giving that German indoor shooting range we saw the other day a runs for it's money!

When I am up there, I will most certainly will have to come and look when it's done.

This is a brilliant idea and I sure hope it will see the light of day ...

If I can add my thoughts ...

It has been said already, but ranges should allow for shooting while moving. This will/may require the ranges to be built in such a way that shots can also be fired at angles towards the sides and not only towards the backstop.

I suppose there are many ways to accomplish this, but "side stops" and/or moveable bullet traps/stops may be an option.

There are many videos on YouTube of indoor handgun events mainly in Europe and Russia which should give you some more ideas.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast