Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default horizontal fixed blade Carry

Im looking for a fixed blade that I can wear horizontally on my belt behind my back. If anyone know of an option please let me know.

User

Default Re: horizontal fixed blade Carry

one of the nicest fixed blade i've seen is the Crucible from SwatG. it has 72 different carry options

Our guru of kydex, Geoff Carter, can make you a sheath that will do what you need for virtually any blade, so it really comes down to your preference for a particular knife or technique, etc. I have to agree with LR that my Crucible is a very nice blade and the sheath system is also great, but I an still more inclined towards the 'reverse edge' system, which the Crucible does not work well for. Some time spent with Swattie may, however, change my mind.

Personally, I am hardly likely to spend the time and effort to learn all the stuff the AMOK! guys teach, but they are extremely proficient blade guys and understand the whole gamut of self protection, (by that I mean they incorporate guns, impact weapons, etc. into their training). I am of the 'grab, stab and then shoot or scoot' school, so I really like the Shivworks blades as well as the Blackhawk Kalista.

You can access both Geoff and Swattie from the site here by going to the 'Dealers / Industry Partners' forum.

Run Fast, Bite Hard!

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

this set up works well for me inside out , upside down . slimline and neat and and its BLASH!

live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Hi Christo,you would want to match up the type of fixed blade you going to carry to what you are going to carry it for ie: primary carry (no fire arm ),carry for weapon retention.IMO being involved with AMOK! found that you would want to carry your knife as close to your power zone as possible (weak side,strong side or appendix carry).Again IMHO i feel carrying a blade by the small of your back in-line with you belt is the same as the wave action on some folders which places your hand and arm too far back when you are accessing the blade.
    so here goes and this is only my personal opinion so some people might not agree,I found the KA-BAR TDI large straight edge knife to work perfectly.I set mine up with a sheath made by Geoff Carter in kydex ,it is a IWB sheath with the clip angled so the handle is in line with my belt on the weak side for accessing with a reverse grip.
    Just remember blade choice is a personal thing got see what feels right in your hands as well as the size for daily carry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Another pic to show measurements as well as how it would sit on a belt IWB carry ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Christo, yes if money is not a major concern then you can look at the Crucible or the Kalista, but I would suggest that you look at more forward type carry, the standard type Ka Bar TDI works just great, small enough to carry and conceal anywhere in front of hip bones, super fast and secure draw, and very simple and easy to use under stress, as long as you can remember to draw, punch out and drag a bit then you are in business. the standard size is of such that you will almost "forget" that you are carrying it, but big enough to have the required impact, but as Ikor stated there are many blades that you can look at and Geoff can make you a sheath to requirements, when I was down in CT he gave me a little sheath for my TDI and works great, although their standard sheaths are good, they are not as user friendly as the ones he makes, as for the Crucible and Kalista your carry options are many as stated!

User

Hey Christo,
    Although this is definately not a carry option at the top of my list (I prefer accessing my weapons with as little unnecessary shoulder movement as possible), I can also vouch for Geoff and the great work and products that constantly delivers to his clients. As SWATG mentioned he will definately be able to make you a sheath that will fit the requirements that you have in mind.

Check out the knives that have been mentioned (especially the TDI!) but also remember that if you are carrying a fixed blade in this position, the larger surface area that you have at your disposal will also allow you to carry something a little bigger ... I still quite like the SOG Pentagon as a larger fixed blade solution.

BE Safe

Kind regards,
    RobertC
    www.pdssa.webs.com
    www.pdssa.wordpress.com
    “Practice Peace, Train Chaos!”

User

Ill check out my options and make a desicion.

User

get this months magnum, there is an article on some beautiful horizontal carry blades in it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast