Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: 44. Mag Hunting revolver.

All good, Toxxyc

User

500 Smith & Wesson......making the .44 Magnum the practical choice since 2003....

I love my .44 magnum RH. Its chunky and over-engineered and I have no worries in firing off hottish loads.

User

To me double action revolvers are more comfortable to shoot than single actions, I think its the grip design, my super blackhawk recoils much more than a friends raging bull 454 cassull but that is only the way I experience it, most guys say its the other way round.Shoot a similar gun before you buy, and the contender is also a great hunting handgun much easier to learn to shoot than a revolver just my 2 cents.

User

Thanks for all the replies got some more research to do and revolvers to find and shoot.

User

Howdy gents, how be all of you fine folk.

My opinion for what it is worth, Personally If i had to start again, Id start with another SBH, Love them , but then again I will never say no to a Freedom Arms but the 30K + price tag is somewhat steep. A RH ( waiting for my licence on this one )or SRH is not a bad option at all, very good and strong Revolver. The Taurus 44 looks good and shoots well, it is ported and makes the recoil very manageable, BUT i shot mine loose in about 200 hot 44 rounds, sold it very quickly. Cant comment on the Raging Bull never shot one but the write-ups seem good. Smith Model 29, is also a great Revolver for a start, also built very strong ( the original .44 Mag was made in conjunction with the Smith and they were HOT running at around 1500 fps for a 255 gr bullet you, will see that most of chaps load 250 odd grain lead bullets at 1300 fps , this is very manageable and you can shoot it all day, take it up to 1400 + FPS and it is a total different beast.

Now for calibre choice and i think that the 454 guys will agree with me, This is not the calibre for the beginner to cut his teeth on, ( find someone who has one and take it for a test drive, it will be an education). for hunting you need lots of practice and the 454 will hammer you unless you run 45 colt through it.

You will be able to hunt anything up to Kudu with the 44 mag, I prefer something a bit heftier for Blue and black Wildebeest and all above it, Eland etc.

That is why my dream is a .475 (my first choice because you can also Run the 480 Ruger through it)or 500 Linebaugh on a SBH frame.

For OP, look at SBH in .44 mag or 45 Colt ( in a Super BlackHawk 45 you can load the 45 Colt to almost 44 Mag specs { I haven't done this but understand it can be Done}) you can even try the 480 Ruger if you can find one, I don't know if many were brought in (practice a lot and upgrade later if want something stronger). The true Big Bore Calibers and very enlightening.

Kalahari in JHB has a SBH in the counter cant remember the price think it was 6.5K. Good luck, unless you have the 30+ K ( i think closer to 35) then Go for the FA in .454 and run the hot 45 colts through it for practice.

Sweet is right on the TC as well, got one and the are awesome. Getting scarcer to get hold of though.

Quote Originally Posted by burner View Post
    Sweet is right on the TC as well, got one and the are awesome. Getting scarcer to get hold of though.
    If that TC at City Guns was in any other cal other than 44Mag - I would have bought it. The only reason I did not buy it is because I believe that my SBH in 44Mag covers that base for me.

A TC in 30-30Win or 7-30Waters lies in my future somewhere...I have just got that feeling ;)

User

Sweet now you see why I bought a separate 44 mag barrel for my TC, not going mad yet but it will chambered for 445 Supermag. Just waiting for the licence and once it comes through i will fit it with a comp for the Supermag and a silencer, you no for those quiet little 44 special rounds.

My original barrel is on the TC is 7mm-08.

Burner, are you actually TRYING to piss on my battery?

I would love to see what the Supermag does - it looks like an interesting round! Maybe, I should go fetch that TC in 44Mag afterall?

User

ME.
    Never I would never do that , will start a tread for the 445 SM when I kick that project off.

User

I was in the exact same boat you are in 2 years ago, ended up buying a 454 raging bull
    few reasons:
    liked the added power
    was only new gun i could find
    disliked the rugger black hawk
    rugger red hawk was 2k less than the Taurus, new Taurus second hand rugger
    found the Taurus quite easy to shot, remember in a hunting setting you are not going to be firing several shots and double tapping like a self deference application

try flora arms to handle guns and put some lead down range thing they have 44mag 454 and s&w 500 and 460 S&w to try out
    hope this helps
    regards Mark

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast