Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 44. Mag Hunting revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by top dog View Post
    I was in the exact same boat you are in 2 years ago, ended up buying a 454 raging bull
    few reasons:
    liked the added power
    was only new gun i could find
    disliked the rugger black hawk
    rugger red hawk was 2k less than the Taurus, new Taurus second hand rugger
    found the Taurus quite easy to shot, remember in a hunting setting you are not going to be firing several shots and double tapping like a self deference application

try flora arms to handle guns and put some lead down range thing they have 44mag 454 and s&w 500 and 460 S&w to try out
    hope this helps
    regards Mark
    Thank you for the advice, will do.

User

The .44 Mag is a great hunting revolver. Components are easy to find and performance is good. Of course it is all about bore diameter, so a .45 Colt (.452 vs .429) loaded to a similar spec will make a broader wound channel if all else is the same (bullet design and meplat size relative to bore diameter etc.)

The SBH was never offered in .480 Ruger, although the SRH was. This was later discontinued as I understand.

The RH or SBH in .44 Mag are great revolvers. I'm not partial to the extended barrel shroud on the SRH, but it is a good .44 Mag. I would not generalise, but I do know of at least one 454 SBH that seemed to have cyliders narrower to the front. The cases needed beating out with a dowel. This does not mean they are all like that, but I would check if I bought one if possible.

The popularity of the Ruger 44's for hunting is not a coincidence.

The RH cylinder is quite a bit longer than the SBH. This allows you to load to a longer OAL (because of the longer "bullet nose length" that can be accomodated). This allows you either more powder capacity or allows for heavier bullets. Some of the custom hunting ammunition companies load ammo for use in the RH (and Dan Wesson and other longer cylinder guns) only because of this. For exmaple: http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44hammerheadplusp.html

The SBH is a lighter handier revolver. The RH and SRH is a brute and the one to have for really heavy bullets.

Those would be my choices based on what you mentioned.

User

Quote Originally Posted by COMPRESSEDLOAD View Post
    The .44 Mag is a great hunting revolver. Components are easy to find and performance is good. Of course it is all about bore diameter, so a .45 Colt (.452 vs .429) loaded to a similar spec will make a broader wound channel if all else is the same (bullet design and meplat size relative to bore diameter etc.)

The SBH was never offered in .480 Ruger, although the SRH was. This was later discontinued as I understand.

The RH or SBH in .44 Mag are great revolvers. I'm not partial to the extended barrel shroud on the SRH, but it is a good .44 Mag. I would not generalise, but I do know of at least one 454 SBH that seemed to have cyliders narrower to the front. The cases needed beating out with a dowel. This does not mean they are all like that, but I would check if I bought one if possible.

The popularity of the Ruger 44's for hunting is not a coincidence.

The RH cylinder is quite a bit longer than the SBH. This allows you to load to a longer OAL (because of the longer "bullet nose length" that can be accomodated). This allows you either more powder capacity or allows for heavier bullets. Some of the custom hunting ammunition companies load ammo for use in the RH (and Dan Wesson and other longer cylinder guns) only because of this. For exmaple: http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44hammerheadplusp.html

The SBH is a lighter handier revolver. The RH and SRH is a brute and the one to have for really heavy bullets.

Those would be my choices based on what you mentioned.
    Thank you for the advice.

User

Black-ops : what did you end up getting.

User

I have two .44 Mag Firearms for Sale..Astra 8 1/2 Revolved R5500 opensights and a Thompson Contender 14" handgun scoped@12k..

User

Quote Originally Posted by burner View Post
    Black-ops : what did you end up getting.
    Nothing, life happened and that money was used else where, it will have to remain on my "things to buy and do before I die list".

User

Reduced my 44 Astra 8 1/2" price to R4500

Quote Originally Posted by Gidsie View Post
    Reduced my 44 Astra 8 1/2" price to R4500
    Hi!
    I am interested!
    Do you still have it?

User

Yes..pm me

Thank you for all the info. Managed to get a good condition RH for 6.5k. All tight and straight with a few light scratches.

Question ..... I have the 7 1/2 inch barrel and after good success with S&W# 629 Classic Hunter, think around 6 inch is more to my liking. Shot a RH with 5 1/2 inch barrel and that is spot on for what I want.

Any comments on trimming down to 5 1/2 inches and who would you trust to do that?

Cheers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast