Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    The bandage is only for neurotoxic bites to limit the effects it will have on the vitals. Keeping cytotoxic venom in one place will make the bitten part much worse ,you want the venom spread out so that your body can fight.
    Now that is the hottest debated topic in snake venom at the moment possibly good advice possibly bad advice. At the recent snake bite symposium in swaziland it was discussed at length still not sure what the best treatment for cytotoxic wil be. Beat bet in any case is get to a hospital asap

User

Default Re: Snake season is here!

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    By default being an Australian already has you in minus points :D

BTW how far are you with your moving plans?
    The plans are moving a bit slow at the moment.Dealing with lawyers and insurance companies plus some not very helpful consular officials..so right now I am pretty much in the dark as to when it will be either middle to late next year or early the following year.
    Gets a little frustrating really.But IT WILL HAPPEN and then it will be

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    The bandage is only for neurotoxic bites to limit the effects it will have on the vitals. Keeping cytotoxic venom in one place will make the bitten part much worse ,you want the venom spread out so that your body can fight it better.
    Apologies I forgot to differentiate, the theory is quite correct about allowing cytotoxic venom to "spread" somewhat however there is not a set protocol with regard for pre-hospital cytotoxic venom treatment, until the academics decide upon such I'll be doing it the same way you described it.
    Thanks for clearing that up M.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by wombat57 View Post
    The plans are moving a bit slow at the moment.Dealing with lawyers and insurance companies plus some not very helpful consular officials..so right now I am pretty much in the dark as to when it will be either middle to late next year or early the following year.
    Gets a little frustrating really.But IT WILL HAPPEN and then it will be
    Oh well hang in there, best advice I can give is come out for hunting season, let your wife move, and when she gets here you have dinner ready

[QUOTE=CorditeCrazy;534564]By default being an Australian already has you in minus points :D
    [QUOTE]

agreed, and all the rest of us can say is "Ag Shame", and watch out for the Taipans (a fair amount of them around WA, BTW )

User

[QUOTE=Sweet;534742][QUOTE=CorditeCrazy;534564]By default being an Australian already has you in minus points :D

agreed, and all the rest of us can say is "Ag Shame", and watch out for the Taipans (a fair amount of them around WA, BTW )
    Well at least I am not a Kiwi.As for Taipans well this is Their favorite time of year.The easiest way is if you see any wild animal be it a snake or any other living animal is to assume if you touch it you will most likely die.In Australia's case it's probably true

User

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Barnard View Post
    Our snakebite season usually starts just after the first rains.
    The southern stiletto snake usually opens the season.
    And so it was in 2013.

On 21 October, we had our first rain (23 mm).
    On 22 October, this little stiletto was brought in by a lady, after it had bitten her on the thumb.
    (12 Gauge cartridge for comparison.)
    She was moving her dog's bedding, and the snake was hiding in it, when it bit her.

Attachment 12697

These snakes typically bites with a side-wards strike, (Explaining the Afrikaans name "sypikslang"), resulting in a wound with only one fang mark.
    Though this patient was really innocent, a large number of victims are people who tried to hold the snake with their fingers at the back of its head.

The wound is usually very painful due to the cytotoxic effect.
    Local damage can be as bad as gangrene, necessitating the amputation of a finger, or part of a finger.
    The worst case I have seen had to have his right index finger amputated (yes his trigger finger!).
    No deaths have been reported due to Stiletto bites.

The stiletto snake has a cytotoxic venom, but there is no anti-venom available against it.
    The South African Polyvalent anti-venom does not include stiletto snake.

Treatment is usually symptomatic for pain and prevention of secondary infection. Cortisone reduces the inflammation and swelling, and maybe even the tissue damage.

This patient spent only 24 hours in hospital, and had no permanent damage.

The Mozambique spitting cobras will be next to have their turn.

Willie Barnard
    I was nailed by one of these about 10 years ago in Nelspruit. I was under the impression it was a brown house snake (it was dark) and picked it up by the tail. It got me twice on the right hand, middle finger.
    You do not want a bite from that snake (or any other). I can still remember the pain, it is the worst I have ever experienced.

User

Was at Mountain sancyuary park this weekend and had a run in with a Mozambique spitting cobra. We all went on a hike and me leading the I notice a body of snake next to my foot. When I looked back the cobra was upright giving me the stare. Nearly kaked myself! I just told everyone to stop moving and I moved away from the cobra and it happily moved along and away from us. I am just glad it was a cobra and not an adder becuase I would have probably been bitten if it was an adder.

User

Another way we know its snake season is seeing many run over on the roads. When cycling/running.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ruaanfs View Post
    Was at Mountain sancyuary park this weekend and had a run in with a Mozambique spitting cobra. We all went on a hike and me leading the I notice a body of snake next to my foot. When I looked back the cobra was upright giving me the stare. Nearly kaked myself! I just told everyone to stop moving and I moved away from the cobra and it happily moved along and away from us. I am just glad it was a cobra and not an adder becuase I would have probably been bitten if it was an adder.
    Either way you're lucky you didn't get attacked. Those are vicious things.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast