Banned

Default The value of training with .22LR ammo

Howzit okes. I wasn't sure where to put this thread as it touches on many bases, but here goes. As we all feel the pinch and realize that not only is decent ammo few and far between, if not totally unavailable, we're also all realizing that ammo prices are skyrocketing and IMO will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Most shooters, that haven't already been doing it for ages, are starting to reload but even that's expensive and the availability of reloading components is also a bugger. Something that some of us are doing is switching to using .22 ammo for practice with guns that either pattern our existing guns or via .22 conversion kits. .22 Ammo is still relatively cheap and is also still relatively widely available (YMMV). I'm doing this with rifle already and will soon (I hope) be doing this with my revolver and pistol platforms.

The other side if this thread is training. Training is the golden line that's weaved through many threads and is often the cure for many ailments. I think we're all universally on board on this issue. Training, like a gun and ammo, is a quite simply a "must have".

OK, now the question I'm actually asking is what in your opinion is the training value of using .22 ammo to emulate your .223 rifle, 12G shotgun, .357 Magnum revolver or .40S&W pistol? Is there a value at all? I've always been a proponent of "all trigger-time is good-time" but is it if you are using the right ammo (I realize I didn't articulate that well, but you know what I mean)? Can using .22 ammo (solely or partly) as part of your training regimen have a negative impact? Can it actually instill bad traits? I recall that a similar point was raised when using airsofts for training.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from shooters and trainers alike.

Default Re: The value of training with .22LR ammo

One of the reasons I love .22lr is that, for rifles, it is much cheaper to train with. Cost of a rifle round compared to .22lr-no contest.

A pellet gun and or airsoft would be even cheaper.

Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

It helps very much, I don't know about the bad habits. I practice with my Brno .22, and I can see an improvement with my .375, and the difference between these two calibers are lightyears! I think it is more important that the firearms' weight and handling is similar to your larger caliber than things like recoil etc.

Its a good point. In fact I believe 22lr can be used to correct bad habits. In the game lodge industry, guides have to train regularly and continually pass evaluations using heavy rifles (.375, 458 wm, 458 lott). Due to the nature of the drills that are performed (lots of off hand rapidfire) many guys develop bad flinches. Newbies sometimes shake so much that they literally cant hit the board let alone the bull at 30m. I have found that training with the 22lr is excellent at correcting technique and getting used to actually hitting what they aim for. I was asked once by a neighbour (competitor) to train his new guiding couple who had all the qualifications but could not pass the shooting evaluatiuon and thus could not operate in the park (very very costly to thier employer). He couldnt understand why not, he had given them hundreds of rounds (458wm) to practice with and they still couldnt pass. cfd89 . Thier flinch was so bad that they couldnt possibly hit anything on purpose and the girl had a bruise on her face that would make everyone think she had been a victim of assualt. After 1 solid afternoon with a 22lr and some good technique training, we re-introduced the 458 and voila they passed with flying colours. The girl of the couple was no taller than 5ft4in and wighed no more than 50kg.

Provided the 22 is in the same format as the weapon you are training for and you use the same techniqe then I think it is excellent training.

PS 22lr ammo is WAAAY cheaper than even reloaded 458lott or even 375 ammo. Also after 30 shots or so through a 375 or 458 in a few minutes, the are so hot that you risk serious burns.

User

Using .22 for training and just keeping the eye in is without equal.

You can practise different shooting positions and shoot at movable targets for the whole day withouit requiring medical care on a bruised shoulder.

it also allows family members to learn and participate.

.22 Lr rules and if you haven't got one, shame on you.

User

Pushing the limit even more - training with airsoft is very valuable for tactical purposes and I am not necessarily referring to force on force.

Training with an Glock airsoft pistol is possible in your garage and Wolverine QTG has airsoft timers that can be very useful in that endeavour.

Training with a AR or LM airsoft rifle can be done around the house and you can even fit your optic you are using on your real rifle onto the airsoft rifle to give you the same experience as with your real rifle.

With airsoft you can get holster time, trigger time, handling skills sight picture etc right there at home.

Training with .22 or airsoft gets tup from me.

User

I have a tandem garage about 14m in length so I get some training with my air rifle as well.