Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Glock barrel import timeline

When I bought my Glock in the days of my foolish youth, I was stupid enough to by the G23C :-\

In my experience, 23C is a horrible gun - the compensator seems to cause the gun to twist in your grip, the muzzle flash at night is blinding &, of course, you can't shoot IDPA (other than club shoots) with it. So, after blowing up my compensated barrel confused0068, I decided to import two replacement Storm Lake barrels - one in .40S&W & the other in 9mmP grn1.

I thought that the process and timeline might be of interest

Application for SAPS import permit 2009-06-01
    Application for registration as an importer 2009-06-05
    Registration as an importer issued: 2009-06-22
    SAPS Import permit issued: 2009-08-17
    ITAC Import permit application: 2009-08-17
    ITAC Import permit notification: 2009-08-21
    Confusion re USA end user certificate!!!!!! 2009-08-25
    Speedily resolved by import section at CFR 2009-09-03
    Documentation posted to Brownells 2009-09-09
    Barrels received 2009-10-17 ;D hpy71 happy0065

Total cost for both barrels?

About R2 600.00 hpy180

Default Re: Glock barrel import timeline

Damn, forgot the VAT when I posted the total cost!

Should read about R3 000.00

Thanx for sharing the info Kevin. A couple of questions though:
    1. Is the SAPS import permit a 'per-item' permit or can you use this permit to import other bits in the future?
    2. I am assuming each of the 2 new barrels are licensed separately.
    3. Did you applied for the licenses for the new barrels before or after receipt of the barrels?

Hi Rudes

The SAPS import permit is "per-item". Part of the process is having individual WR numbers issued for each barrel, which are specified in the permit (aftermarket barrels don't have serial numbers - getting the "assistant" at the station to understand that the application must be captured without serial numbers & then be referred to the CFR who will then issue the WR numbers was probably the hardest part of the whole process!). Consequently you can't use it again to import anything else.

You're correct, each barrel has to be seperately licenced & is considered to be a seperate firearm

I haven't applied for the licences yet - I'm in the process of having the barrels proofed & the WR numbers engraved at present. As soon as that is done, I can get around to the licence applications. This part of the process is actually irrelevant in practice as the import permit authorises me to be in posession of the barrels, so they can take as long as they like with the licences!

This is good info Kevin. I am in the same boat as I bought a G21C in my distant youth and have the same issues wrt muzzle flash at night, IDPA and possible issues with CQC work.

I will attempt this barrel importation exercise in the new year.

User

Hi Kevin and Rudes, am I glad I read this post. I have be trying for the last six years to get a dealer to import a 6" barrel for my Glock 20C. To be honest I had already given up. I am looking for KKM, Storm Lake or other 6" barrel (not Glock 6"Hunting Barrel), that has a fully supported and tighter chamber. My standard barrel is chewing up my pricey and scarce brass.

To KevinF: Do I first apply for the importers certicate, or do I first buy the barrel? Please give the numbers of the various application forms needed.
    To Rudes: Please post your progress on this. I would like to hear how you did it?

Katana

Hi Katana

PM me & I'll give you the entire process.

Briefly, you obtain an invoice for the barrel (I bought mine through Brownells, who are extremely jacked up as far as the processes are concerned). Then you apply for a SAPS inport permit, as well as an ITAC import permit. Then you forward the permits, together with the documentation required by the US State Department that you need to complete. Once the State Department has approved the export, you make payment & they ship.

It's actually not as difficult as it seems - FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR easier than getting a competancy for the Glock you want to drop the barrel into!

Hello all. Came across this thread while surfing the web with the vague idea of getting an after market .357 Sig barrel for my .40 S&W Glock 22. Most interesting. Can I dm someone regarding the process?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton12 View Post
    Hello all. Came across this thread while surfing the web with the vague idea of getting an after market .357 Sig barrel for my .40 S&W Glock 22. Most interesting. Can I dm someone regarding the process?
    Glock 31s are available as far as I am aware.

You will probably be better off just buying one of those.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

I would ask Big T if they have stock before going through the schlep myself. And as per the previous comment, 2 glocks are better than 1.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast