User

Default Basic kit to get started

Hello guys,

Its that time, I received my licences last week so the weekend is booked so that I can go and pick up my brand new rifle from the dealer.
    Can you guys please help me with some input on what I also need to get so that I can break in my barrel on my .308?
    Okay, first I guess should be a rod, copper brush & jag, Is there a difference between the Hoppe's and Ram accessories besides the price?
    Do anyone use a boar guide?
    I heard someone talking about a wet brush that they run through the barrel first, what exactly does wet brush mean? Is it only solvent on the brush or a wet patch on by the brush?
    What solvent must I use to clean the barrel and oil then?
    I read up a few forums and watched a lot of tutorial video's about cleaning and everyone is different. Some state that the boar should only be cleaned in the direction of the bullet travel, any input?

I think I am going to use the Harry Potterfield from Midway USA technique of breaking the barrel. Clean boar, 1 shot, clean boar and cool down, 1 shot, clean boar and cool down................. for 5 shots. Then moving into 5 shots and then cleaning till I have reached 50 round. How did you break in your barrel?

Also can you please help with some advice to clean my .22 and pump action shotgun, I read that different solvents and oils needs to be used for them?

Regards

User

Default Re: Basic kit to get started

I think you should follow the method as indicated by the manufacturer.

Cleaning the boar might be a bitch. First you have to catch the bastard and then you have to shove the wet brush up his/her arse. They tend not to stand still for that.

Congratulations on your new rifle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    I think you should follow the method as indicated by the manufacturer.

Cleaning the boar might be a bitch. First you have to catch the bastard and then you have to shove the wet brush up his/her arse. They tend not to stand still for that.

Congratulations on your new rifle.

Congrads TNel

I was in the same boat earlier in the year. After reading ten different opinions and then some, I went for the following:

Hoppes cleaning rod
    MTM bore guide - to prevent throat damage
    Boretec eliminator/sweets 7.62- solvent
    Hoppes gun oil - for the action
    Tipton action/chamber cleaning tool - must have
    MTM cleaning bath
    Lynx pen - glass cleaner

I clean action to crown only using a nylon brush and run about 6 patches through until shes not fouling the last dry patch

In terms of barrel breakin I used the same method mentioned above. I can fire a 0.5 moa group at 100 using handloads on 168g bullets. You have to reload to pull maximum accuracy at minimal cost from your rifle.

Iv also shot her moa at 600m but then the scope, load, skill, barrel length, platform etc etc kicks in..

cleaning the 12g - hoppes bore snake at the moment average shooting once a month with 30 rounds/mnth
    What ever you need to know, you will find here and on the net, with ten different IMHOs expressed! Like mine above
    extract some good from opinions out there and decide on a cause of action

enjoy boeta

User

Oh my goodness you made my day!

User

User

Just take note that the positioning of the threads differ from "ram" to the American makes.
    IOW the brushes/jags on the "Ram" products have a internal thread so the rods have external threads, while most of the American makes have a external thread on the brushes/jags and the rods have external thread.
    I've heard there is a adapter to "interchange" between the two, but I have yet to see it.

And seeing that I struggle to find "ram" products in stock when I do go to the shops I'd rather opt for the American products eg."hoppes ect.

Just my 2c

User

Thanks guys,
    Well I will rather shoot the boar before I try that move.......................
    Thanks for the feedback, I think I will go with the hopes tools, I want to maximise my rifle barrel life.
    FiveFiveSix- thanks for the feedback, I will go with a kit like yours.

Regards

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jpzx12rturbo View Post
    Just take note that the positioning of the threads differ from "ram" to the American makes.
    IOW the brushes/jags on the "Ram" products have a internal thread so the rods have external threads, while most of the American makes have a external thread on the brushes/jags and the rods have external thread.
    I've heard there is a adapter to "interchange" between the two, but I have yet to see it.

And seeing that I struggle to find "ram" products in stock when I do go to the shops I'd rather opt for the American products eg."hoppes ect.

Just my 2c
    While searching I remembered reading the above.
    http://www.gicombatsupplies.co.za/cl...istol_calibres
    http://www.gicombatsupplies.co.za/cl...#/calibre-12ga