Thread: H&K G11

Default H&K G11

Anyone remember these? I thought it sounded like a cool idea with it's caseless ammo. I'm surpised there's not more research into this concept. Looks the part too.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_G11[/ame]
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Default Re: H&K G11

These were cool. Rotating chambers to keep it cool and stop cook-off. Huge rate of fire in 3 round burst.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

It seems that the whole caseless cartridge idea cooled down a bit. The idea seems good but maybe it is getting the concept to work properly that is slamming on the brakes on caseless cartridges.

User

The greatest lesson of the G11: politics > military spending.

Assault rifles are considered "mature technology", and as such its difficult to improve upon the conceptual design without the kind of massive spending that manufacturers have been reluctant to commit to for some time. The post-9/11 surge seems to have done a great deal to change that however, and we have seen many new designs hit the scene as spending has increased.

Check out the LSAT in this regard http://www.defense-update.com/products/l/LSAT.htm

Good link. Although it looks like something you would buy from Toys-R-Us! ;D The links look bulky but the weight saving is massive.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius