Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Car Safes for Firearm Storage

The following with thanks to Rudes:

Quote Originally Posted by Rudes View Post
    I think I have posted info about vehicle safe requirements on a number of threads before but let me consolidate my info into 1 section below. Maybe one of the mods will be so kind as to make this a sticky so others can refer to it in the future. The info below is my interpretation of the law and other guidelines so treat it as such. If I made any factual errors please let me know so that we can correct it but I am pretty sure that the below section is correct.

Vehicle safes Ito FCA

Can I legally store a firearm in my vehicle is a question that has been asked on numerous occasions? If you adhere to certain requirements it is my opinion that you can legally store a firearm in a vehicle or caravan.

Can I be found guilty of negligence if my car with firearm is stolen is the second question that gets asked a lot. Again in my opinion if you adhere to certain requirements you would be as innocent/guilty if your firearm is stolen from your car safe as you would be if it was stolen from your house safe.

Whether you store your firearm in a car safe or not is your choice but in my opinion it is a perfectly legal storage option.

The requirements for storing a firearm in a car safe are contained in 3 sources:
    1. Law: Firearm Control Act 60 of 2000
    2. SAPS regulations: Firearms Control Regulations, 2004
    3. SABS standard: SANS 953-1, Storage of firearms and ammunition – Safes.

The FCA says that firearms and ammunition must be stored in the prescribed manner. (See S83 extract below)

The 2004 Firearms Control Regulations then says that a firearm and its ammunition must be stored in a safe or strongroom that conforms to the prescripts of SABS Standard 953-1 and 953-2 when it is not under the direct personal and physical control of the license holder.(See S86.1 extract below)

SABS standard, SANS 953-1: Storage of firearms and ammunition – Safes, then defines safes and requirements that will meet with their approval. SANS 953-1 defines a type B3 firearms safe as a lighter safe intended for the temporary storage of firearms and ammunition in motor vehicles and caravans. (See S3.12 extract below)

SANS 953-1 then defines requirements for securing a type B3 firearm safe to a vehicle as well as general type B firearm safe requirements. It basically says that the safe must be bolted non-conspicuously to the floor or body of the car and that the installer must issue a certificate with certain info on it. (See S4.6.3 and S6.2.4 extracts below) Nothing is said about what type of bolts and the quantity of bolts required for affixing a type B3 firearm safe.

So if you comply with the FCA, FCA regulations as well as SANS 953-1 requirements it is my opinion that you can legally store your firearm in a vehicle safe.

References for above statements
    -----------------------------------------------------

FIREARMS CONTROL ACT 60 OF 2000

STORAGE, TRANSPORT AND CARRYING OF FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (ss 83-89)
    83 Storage and transport of firearms and ammunition
    Firearms and ammunition must be stored and transported in the prescribed manner.

Firearms Control Regulations, 2004

Chapter 10
    Safe custody of firearms and ammunition
    Safes and safe custody
    86(1) When a firearm is not under the direct personal and physical control of a holder of a licence, authorisation or permit to possess the firearm, the firearm and its ammunition must be stored in a safe or strongroom that conforms to the prescripts of SABS Standard 953-1 and 953-2, unless otherwise specifically provided in these regulations.

SANS 953-1, Storage of firearms and ammunition – Safes.

3.12 type B3 firearms safe a lighter safe intended for the temporary storage of firearms and ammunition in motor vehicles and caravans

4.6 Means of securing a safe
    4.6.3 In vehicles
    When a safe is installed in a vehicle it shall be affixed non-conspicuously to the floor or body of the vehicle, and the owner of the firearm shall obtain a certificate issued by the installer wherein the following particulars are specified:
    a) date of installation;
    b) name and address of installer;
    c) registration number, engine and chassis number and make of vehicle; and
    d) that the vehicle is equipped with an immobilizer.

6.2 Means of securing a type B safe
    6.2.4 Type B3 safes In the case of a type B3 safe, there shall be an arrangement for bolting the safe to the body or to the floor of a vehicle.

User

Default Re: Car Safes for Firearm Storage

Thanks

User

thank you

User

Good to have the gist of this in a sticky. Maybe this sticky can grow to include contact details of known suppliers and installers?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    Good to have the gist of this in a sticky. Maybe this sticky can grow to include contact details of known suppliers and installers?
    Thanks Rudes and good point Tetelestai. tims

User

I would love a list of suppliers, phoned two suggested places from other threads today, non of the guys can issue the certificate. Non know of the certificate.

User

Where would I be able to have a carsafe fitted?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Where would I be able to have a carsafe fitted?
    Introduction section?

User

Nissi Safe Manufacturers - 011 900 2900, great bunch of guys and super friendly, they will build your safe, install it and issue you a certificate.

As a note, I'm in no way affiliated with them, but I have dealt with them on previous occasions and it was always a pleasure.

Joeman, the problem is that, AFAIK, almost nobody can afford the Nissi products/services. Some years back when I called them they quoted me something like R6k for handgun safe! As you can imagine, I left it at that.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast