Default Modifying a Lee Enfield for IPSC rifle ...

I bought a Lee Enfield from ex military stock a few years ago. I want to modify the rifle for participation in IPSC rifle events by rplacing the wood with a telescopic/foldable stock, new "tactical" fore-end, scope, pistol grip/bipod, etc, etc, etc.

I am looking for advice on good gunsmiths to do the work as well as suppliers for al the parts please.

I am also not sure if I remember correctly, but I want to recall that many years ago when Gold Ref City guns or whatever their name is/was started to the conversions on the Lee Enfields to build the "Bakkie rifles", they also came up with a magazine conversyion to hold 20 shots. Does anybody have furtehr information on this or how to do such a modification?

I look forward to hear from all the experts.

User

Default Re: Modifying a Lee Enfield for IPSC rifle ...

I remember the conversions with the short barrels and folding stocks, but its the 1st time I ever hear of 20 shot mags. I saw a couple of those back in the day and they all had 10 shot mags.

A friend had one done up in this way and I shot it a couple of times with old military ammo. It was NOT pleasant. HUGE blast and muzzleflash and the damn thing kicked like a mule on Roids.

Remebering the way it handled and shot, the really lack luster accuracy and combined with the cost of reloading components, I personally would not do it.

I think the gunsmithing charge to convert it will probably be quite expensive as well. Maybe the money spent on this project would be better spent on a more suitable and competitive rifle?

With all respect, you are a competitive and very capable shot. This thing will only frustrate you and you are going to buy a propper rifle anyway. Rather spend the money on getting it setup properly and practicing with the right equipment as soon as possible :)

But what the hell, go big and post pictures if you decide to do it anyway!

User

Yeah... my brother has our great grandfathers Lee Enfield (his servuce weapon in WW1).

"Kicks like a mule" is an understatement.

Plus, the brass butt-plate doesn't help either (you wouldnt keep this on a competition rifle I suspect.. it would make even a 12 round stage a marathon)

It seems the "old boys" were made of tougher stuff than us X-generation guys

User

IMG_4834.jpgIMG_4842.jpg

A few years ago I modified a No4MkII as seen in the pictures. I used it at a few 3 gun shoots and enjoyed myself very much. The recoil was OK using milsurp ammo. It has a proper Leopold Scout Scope and I can also easily mount a Tasco PDP3.

The actual bolt action is very fast. If I was forced to use a bolt action rifle for combat it would only be a Lee Enfield.

The work was done by Russel Micklethwaite who has since relocated to the USA, unfortunately.

I agree wholeheartedly with 1911: Just get the right rifle for IPSC, unless you truly enjoy being different and at a disadvantage.

I have the gun and will probably only use it at club shoots ... It needs a lot of work to get it going again in any case so I thought I'd go all the way ...